MFA in Writing
Develop your writing through an intimate, personalized curriculum designed to nurture individual development, creative vision, and participation in the greater literary community. Students work closely with peers, award-winning writers, and faculty in small workshops and seminars.
- Publishable Manuscript — Students receive two semesters of one-on-one instruction to complete a book-length publishable work.
- Experiment Cross-Genre — Students have the opportunity to experiment cross-genre while pursuing traditional concentrations in long fiction, short fiction, nonfiction, or poetry.
- San Francisco Advantage — The SF Bay Area is home to myriad local literary and service organizations, including Poets & Writers, Zoetrope, California Poets in the Schools, Litquake, and the MFA program’s literary journal Switchback.
- Accommodating Schedule — Classes are held in the evenings to accommodate the schedules of working professionals.
- Teaching Assistantships — Each semester, a number of teaching assistantships are available in undergraduate English literature and creative writing courses.
Learn More »