The University of San Francisco’s athletic teams have enjoyed a number of successes recently.
- USF’s golf teams have had a successful season, with men’s golf winning the 2009 West Coast Conference Championship in April. Women’s golf won the 2009 Oregon Duck Invitational,posting a 15-stroke victory at the March tournament.
- The men’s soccer team captured the 2008 West Coast Conference championship and junior Conor Chinn captured WCC Player of the Year honors. Head coach Erik Visser (right) was named WCC Coach of the Year.
- In December, the volleyball team earned its first NCAA tournament bid since 2003. Five Dons garnered All-WCC honors, and junior Haley Carroll was named to the U.S. Women’s National A2 Program for 2009.
- Two cross-country runners earned WCC First Team accolades after top finishes at the WCC Cross Country Championships in November. Freshman Ganbileg Bor earned First Team and Freshman of the Year honors after finishing second in the men’s 8k race, and senior Michelle Born earned her second consecutive First Team honor after finishing fourth in the women’s 6k race.
- The track and field team earned five individual titles at the San Francisco State University Invitational in April. Alex Delgadillo won the men’s javelin; Michelle Born grabbed the title in the 1500-meter; Nicole Bowler nabbed the 800-meter title; Alanna Nulph won in the shot put; and Oliver Kirkeby won the men’s shot put.
For more on these and other sports stories, visit www.usfdons.com.
Twelve Teams Inducted into Hall of Fame
The University of San Francisco celebrated the 50th anniversary of the USF Hall of Fame by inducting 12 championship teams during the Fr. Hubert “Hub” Flynn Athletic Hall of Fame Dinner Feb. 20. Attended by more than 320 alumni, family, and friends, the Hall of Fame Dinner kicked off Homecoming Weekend 2009 festivities.
This year’s dinner marked the first time entire teams were inducted into the Hall of Fame, thanks to a change in bylaws passed by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee. This year’s inductees included all USF teams that have won some type of national title or earned other honors: 1949 NIT Basketball, 1949 NCAA Tennis, 1949 Hearst ROTC Rifle Champions, 1949 ISFA Soccer, 1951 Football, 1955 NCAA Basketball, 1956 NCAA Basketball, 1966 NCAA Soccer, 1975 NCAA Soccer, 1976 NCAA Soccer, 1978 NCAA Soccer, and 1980 NCAA Soccer.
Click to see a slideshow of photos from the Hall of Fame Dinner