Academic Success Coach, Director of Academic Development and Outreach Programs
Areas of Interest:
- Academic coaching/support
- Undeclared students
- First Generation
- Universal design for learning
- Students on academic probation
- Students managing mental health issues and/or other disabilities and ADHD
- LGBT college Students
Year Started at USF: 2014
Hometown: San Diego, CA
- BA, Biology, University of San Diego
- MEd, College Student Affairs, University of South Florida
- PhD, Higher Education Administration, University of Denver
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
1. I have 7 nieces and nephews and I am very proud of my niece Denyse Tontz, who just won an Emmy for her song on “All My Children”.
2. I am a lifelong learner and love to be in school. It probably isn’t surprising to my family at all that I work at a college.
3. I grew up in a family of 10 kids. Two sisters married two brothers and my aunt and uncle have 10 kids too.
4. I love anything motivational: quotes, books, movies.
5. While I wouldn’t say I am good at it, I love to decorate apartments and “pull things together”.
6. I am a huge cross fit nut, and love the adrenaline rush. I also love to swim and play indoor/outdoor volleyball.
7. Someday I would like to travel the world with my future partner, especially anything Tropical. Fiji is right at the top.
8. My Myers-Briggs type is INFP last time I took it.
9. Many nights can be found catching up on the Bachelorette, watching Modern Family or HGTV.
10. I love chocolate, any.
11. Love to cook and eat out.
12. I once studied gray whales as an undergraduate researcher on a small island in Mexico.
Email: Paul Tontz
Phone: (415) 422-2134
Visit me during Office Hours!