ICEL is very proud of its permanent adjunct faculty, a special term which WASC accepted in 1988 to describe the instructors who have taught ICEL courses summer after summer.
Because of the focused nature of ICEL, its faculty is carefully selected according to special criteria.
- Knows and values Catholic school education;
- Has had teaching experience in Catholic schools, preferably experience at the K-12 level;
- Models a caring, moral approach to the education of students, and a public commitment to Catholic education;
- Has a long-term commitment to the goals of ICEL, which includes a special dedication to students who are today's leaders in Catholic schools;
- Enters into and contributes to the building of the ICEL community;
- Is both a serious scholar and a successful practitioner in the area in which s/he teaches;
- Is supportive of, and willing to work in collaboration with, other members of the CEL faculty to further the annual goals of ICEL;
- Exemplifies apostolic service in the broader school community in her/his daily life.
Nancy Barrett, Co-Principal, St. Vincent de Paul School, San Francisco
M.A., University of San Francisco
Teaches: Culminating Project
Dr. Michael Duffy, Ed.D., Director, Lane Center for Catholic Studies and Social Thought
Ed.D., University of San Francisco
Teaches: Catholic Social Thought and Catholic Education: Applications for the Future
James Everitt, Ed.D., Principal, Sacred Heart Preparatory School, Atherton, CA
B.A., St. Mary's University; M.A., University of Houston, Ed.D., University of San Francisco, 2010.
Teaches: Personnel Leadership in Catholic Schools
Marcella Fox, Ed.D., Faculty member: Carondelet High School, Concord, CA
B.A., Russell College, Burlingame, CA, 1968; M.A., Graduate Theological Union, Jesuit School of Theology, Berkeley, CA, 1980; Ed.D., University of San Francisco, 1993.
Teaches: Spirituality of the Educator; Methods and Materials in Teaching Religion in Catholic Schools
Enrico Hernandez, Chief Financial and Administrative Officer for the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute at U.C. Berkeley
Teaches: Business & Financial Administration for Catholic Schools; Applications in Finances of Catholic Schools
John James, Ed.D., Assistant Professor, Saint Louis University, Saint Louis, MO
B.A., Rice University, 1989; M.A., University of Saint Thomas, Houston, 1994; Ed.D., University of Nebraska, 2001.
Teaches: Business and Finance for Catholic Schools
Doreen Ferreira Jones, Ed.D., Adjunct Professor, ICEL
B.A., Holy Names College, Oakland, 1967; M.A., Catholic University of San Francisco, 1995, Ed.D. University of San Francisco, 2000.
Teaches: Moral Development, Philosophical Foundations, Culminating Project
Fr. Ralph Metts, S.J., Adjunct Faculty and Former President of the Jesuit Secondary Education Association (JSEA)
B.A., Fordham University, 1967; M.A., University of Scranton, 1969; M.Ed. Teacher's College at Columbia University, 1977; Ed.D. Teacher's College at Columbia University, 1979.
Teaches: Directed Study, Perspectives on Students Who Learn Differently: Their Challenges and Gifts
Edward van Merrienboer, O.P., Director of Adult Faith Formation, St. Thomas More Newman Center of Columbia, Missouri
B.S., Edgewood College of the Sacred Heart, 1974; M.A., Aquinas Institute, 1966; M.A., University of Illinois,
1976; D.Min., Eden Theological Seminary, St. Louis, 1993
Teaches: Justice in the School Curriculum
Sarah Wannemuehler, Ed.D., Associate Professor & Director of Graduate Education/Grant Writing, Aquinas College, Nashville TN
B.S., University of Southern Indiana, 1974; M.S., Indiana University, 1978; Ed.D., Spalding University, 1994.
Teaches: School Law (Los Angeles)