Graduate Applications Instructions
Application Form and Fee
Submit the form and the $55 application fee online.
Upload a copy of your transcripts from each college or university attended. Please ensure that any unofficial transcripts include the name of the institution.
Please note: If admitted to the program, you will be required to submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
A Professional Résumé
Include a professional résumé of your work experience, educational background, and professional activities, as well as any outside interests you would like to have considered.
Letters of Recommendation
Please follow the instructions on the online application for submitting your recommenders' contact information. Your recommenders will receive an email requesting that they log in and submit their letter of recommendation. You will be able to log back into your account to send a reminder at any time.*
Programs Requiring 2 Letters of Recommendation:
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science in Behavioral Health
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Master of Science in Healthcare Simulation
Programs Requiring 3 Letters of Recommendation:
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Psychology (PsyD)**
*You can easily remind your recommenders to submit their letters through your online application. To do so, log in to your application and choose the View Application button. Next, under Important Links, choose Recommendation Letters, and then Recommendation Provider List. Next to each provider is a Resend button. Once clicking the resend button a prompt will automatically be sent to your recommender's email address.
Who should write your letters of recommendation? Letters from scholastic and professional recommenders are preferred; e.g. professor or work supervisor. The recommendation letter should ideally come from someone who can speak to your ability to succeed in a graduate program.
**The PsyD program has specific requirements for the writers of the recommendation letters. Three letters of recommendation are required, two must be from faculty members, and one from a professional/work supervisor.
A Personal Statement
- Master of Science in Nursing – Upload a 1 to 3 page document that describes your reasons for pursuing a master's degree and for choosing the graduate nursing program at the University of San Francisco. The statement should relate your past experiences to a career in nursing.
- Master of Public Health – Upload a 1 to 3 page document that describes your interests and professional goals as they relate to public health, and how you plan to use the MPH in your career. Furthermore, describe your reasons for pursuing a master's degree in public health at the University of San Francisco. Finally, please be sure to identify and explain any international educational experience that you may have fielded during your undergraduate studies.
- Master of Science in Behavioral Health – This writing prompt has two (2) parts. Please respond to both.
Part 1: What do you consider the most pressing concern in healthcare today? Why?
Part 2: Tell us about your interest in working in behavioral health with underserved populations. Please include relevant information about your values, work history, life experience and education that have led you to pursue this degree.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics – Upload a 1 to 3 page document that describes reasons for pursuing a Master's degree in Health Informatics and career goals
- Master of Science in Simulation – Upload a 1 to 3 page document that describes reasons for pursuing a Master's degree in Healthcare Simulation and career goals
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – Upload a 1 to 3 page document that describes your reasons for pursuing a doctoral degree, and specifically why you are applying to the DNP program at the University of San Francisco. The statement should describe your future plans for application of graduate-level knowledge and skills.
- Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) – Upload 4 to 5 page document. The first section of the statement, approximately two pages in length, should include a description of the applicant and his/her background. The second section, approximately 3 pages in length, should consist of short paragraphs responding to the following:
- What has led to your interest in pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology?
- Have you considered other master's and doctoral degrees in psychology and counseling?
- What interests you in focusing on behavioral health and working with underserved populations?
- What is unique about you that will contribute to your success as a professional psychologist?
- Is this a good time for you to assume the financial commitment of five full time years of academic training, during which you will be able to work no more than part-time?
- Is this a good time for you to assume the time commitment of 5 full years of academic training, including the 5th year full-time clinical internship, which is often in a different geographic area?
- What is your ultimate goal as a licensed psychologist?
Many programs require additional information as a requirement for the program application. Please complete all sections as directed in the application.
- Master of Public Health – please identify your language proficiency (fluent or conversational) with regard to any other languages spoken or studied other than English. Identify how many years you have studied these languages.
- Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) – Submit official scores of the GRE General Test and GRE Psychology Test, taken within three years of application.
For information concerning financial assistance programs available to applicants to the School of Nursing and Health Professions, please refer to our webpage, Financing Your Education. You many also contact the USF One Stop Enrollment and Financial Services Office: University of San Francisco, One Stop Services, 2130 Fulton Street, LM 251, San Francisco, CA 94117-1080, (415) 422-2020, web: myusf.usfca.edu/onestop, email: email@example.com.
(Not a Citizen or Permanent Resident of the U.S.)
Non-immigrant students must include a foreign mailing address. In addition to the documents listed under "Application Instructions," International Students need to submit the following:
Official Academic Records
Submit official records from all university-level institutions attended.
English Proficiency Examination
Submit official TOEFL examination scores. A minimum score of 600 (Paper Test), 100 (IBT), or 7.0 (IELTS) is required. USF will also accept the Pearson Test of English (PTE).
Certification of Finances
Please Read Carefully
International applicants who require an F-1 student visa must demonstrate that they (and/or other sponsors) can fund all or a significant amount of their educational and living expenses in the United States. To do this, the Certification of Finances form must be completed and submitted along with bank statements. if you cannot complete the Certification, then please do not apply to this graduate program.
Please Note: If funding from your sponsor(s) requires that you first be admitted to the university's graduate program, then your application will be considered if you attach a note to your application indicating that your Certification of Finance is to come. After you receive your admission decision letter, you will want to complete and send your verified Certification of Finances to USF.
Please upload a copy of your passport.
USF is not currently accepting applications from online students who reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Massachusetts, Maryland, North Carolina and Wisconsin. Additionally, USF is not currently accepting applications for online students for the MSN and DNP online programs who reside in Rhode Island and Tennessee. Note, residents of states where USF is not authorized for online education may attend USF courses and programs at any of our California based campuses.