International Institute of Criminal Justice Leadership
In keeping with the University of San Francisco mission of social justice, the International Institute of Criminal Justice Leadership (IICJL) has distinguished itself as a diverse, socially responsible learning community which draws from the cultural, intellectual, and professional resources of the San Francisco Bay Area and the State of California. The broader mission of the institute is to facilitate training and research for managers in the various disciplines of the criminal justice system and to focus on ethical leadership.
In September of 1997, the School of Management initiated an undergraduate program in Law Enforcement Leadership. This program has attracted law enforcement professionals from throughout Northern California.
Since its inception, more than 170 law enforcement professionals have received their bachelor’s degree from USF. In addition, 35 have gone on to receive their master degree in Public Administration. More than 120 have received the Lieutenant Barbara Hammerman Memorial Scholarship, which assists officers returning to college.
To broaden our service to the criminal justice community, the IICJL was established in April 2001. The institute formalized and expanded the law enforcement leadership training that the university had been involved in for over 50 years.
Our board includes law enforcement, business, and academic leaders from throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and has been a tremendous resource for planning, recruitment, and the overall prestige of the university's law enforcement program. The board meets quarterly at the University of San Francisco. As a result of the board's effort and the programs, the university has gained a reputation as a center for progressive learning in the law enforcement community.
Advisory Board Members
- Richard L. Corriea, Director, International Institute of Criminal Justice Leadership
- Anthony Ribera, PhD, Director Emeritus
- Deputy Chief Mikail Ali, San Francisco Police Department
- Captain Dave Augustus, Marin County Sheriff
- Abigail H. Baker, AT&T FirstNet
- Dr. Sandy Boyd, College of Marin
- Captain Thomas Boyd (ret.), San Rafael Police Department
- Chief Steve Cercone (ret.), Accenture
- Jim Connors, Administration of Justice, City College of San Francisco
- Chief Paul Fontana (ret.), California Highway Patrol
- Chief Mike Guerra (ret.), Lincoln University
- Chief Peter Herley (ret.), Tiburon Police Department
- Chief Nathan Johnson (ret.), Sonoma State University
- Chief Dan Lawson, University of San Francisco
- Captain David Lazar, San Francisco Police Department
- Chief Susan Manheimer, San Mateo Police Department
- Deputy Chief Ann Mannix, San Francisco Police Department
- Assistant Sheriff Casey Nice, Alameda County Sheriff’s Office
- US Marshall Donald O’Keefe, United States Marshals Service Northern District of California
- Chief Al Pardini, East Palo Alto Police Department
- Bob Puts, PG&E
- Lieutenant Dennis Schardt (ret.), San Francisco Police Department
- Mike Sena, Northern California HIDTA & NCRIC
- Chief Tricia Seyler, Belvedere Police Department
- Chief Dave Spiller, Pleasanton Police Department
- Chief John Standish (ret.), California Department of Insurance
- Jonell Adams, USF Alumni Associate
- Chief Jennifer Tejada, Emeryville Police Department
- Lieutenant Eric Quema (ret.), San Francisco Police Department