There are many
benefits to studying a group, including:
- Providing support: group members can offer encouragement
and make studying more fun.
- Motivation and commitment to study: knowing that others
are depending on you to come prepared and help them learn provides motivation
to study ahead of time.
- Reinforces understanding of material: teaching information
to others reinforces your mastery and makes clear what concepts you may need to
- Provides opportunity to ask question and compare class
notes: group members may have understood or recorded information that you
missed during the lecture, and vice-versa.
- Learn new study habits: group members can open your eyes
to new ways to study and understand course material.
- Opportunity to share
talents: each group member can bring strengths to the group that will help each
of you work toward your final goal.
Check out our
tips on forming study groups and structuring group study sessions .