- RUAF Bibliography is an urban agriculture bibliographic database compiled by the RUAF Foundation.
- New York Times Topics - Urban Agriculture provides a listing of NY Times articles relating to urban agriculture.
- Agricola, the catalog of the U.S. National Agricultural Library, provides world-wide access to agricultural information. The database covers materials in all formats and periods, including printed works from as far back as the 15th century.
- AGRIS is a database hosted by the FAO, contains more than 7 million bibliographic references on agricultural research and technology.
- Environment Complete provides coverage of environment-related topics, including urban agriculture.
- GreenFILE is another database which provides coverage of environment-related topics, including urban agriculture.
- Urban Studies Abstracts covers topics related to the study of cities and regions, such as urban affairs, community development, as well as some coverage of urban agriculture.
Historical Digital Collections
- Organic Roots Collection from the National Agricultural Library, is a digital collection of historic documents published before 1942 – a time before synthetic chemicals became widely used.
- Farmers' Bulletin is a collection of Farmers' Bulletin publications from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, accessible via the University of North Texas Digital Library.
- FAOSTAT, from the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, provides access to data for 245 countries and 35 regional areas from 1961 through the most recent year available.
- National Agricultural Statistics Service, from the United States Department of Agriculture, provides data on crops, livestock, demographics, prices, etc.
- City and County of San Francisco
- The United States Department of Agriculture
- The United States Environmental Protection Agency
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations
Organizational Websites and Directories
- San Francisco Urban Agriculture Alliance promotes the growing of food within San Francisco through advocacy, education, and grassroots action.
- RUAF Foundation is an international network of resource centers on urban agriculture and food security.
- American Community Gardening Association is a nonprofit membership organization of professionals, volunteers and supporters of community greening in urban and rural communities.
- Local Harvest is a directory of farmers markets in the U.S.
- City Farmer News a Vancouver based blog that teaches people how to grow food in the city, compost their waste and take care of their home landscape in an environmentally responsible way.
- Agricultural Sustainability Institute at UC Davis has some excellent urban agriculture resources including an annotated bibliography of Urban Agriculture Impacts.
Educational and Volunteer Opportunities
- Alemany Farm, a 3.5 acre organic farm ecosystem in southeast San Francisco, holds regular community workdays.
- WWOOF USA Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms, USA (WWOOF-USA) is part of a worldwide effort to link visitors with organic farmers, promote an educational exchange, and build a global community conscious of ecological farming practices.
- Sustainable Farming Internships and Apprenticeships is a directory compiled by the The National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service, a program of the National Center for Appropriate Technology.
- Educational and Training Opportunities in Sustainable Agriculture is another directory, this one compiled by the USDA's Alternative Farming Systems Information Center.
Seeds and Seed Libraries
- Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit organization dedicated to saving and sharing heirloom seeds.
- Organic Seed Alliance is another non-profit organization that advances the ethical development and stewardship of the genetic resources of agricultural seed.
- Seed Library Social Network
Local seed libraries:
- USF Seed Library (Gleeson Library - University of San Francisco)
- San Francisco Seed Library (SF Public Library - Potrero Hill Branch)
- Jewish Community Center Rooftop Garden Seed Library (San Francisco)
- Seedfolks Community Seed Library (Oakland Public Library - Cesar Chavez Branch)
- Green Thumbs Green Minds Seed Library (Alameda Free Library)
- BASIL - Bay Area Seed Interchange Library (Berkeley Ecology Center)
- Richmond Grows Seed Lending Library (Richmond, CA)
Garden photographs courtesy of David Silver