SOC 395: Fieldwork in Sociology
- Access World News is a database that has the full text of many newspapers, including the San Francisco Chronicle.
- SFGate is the free website of the San Francisco Chronicle for breaking news and blogs.
- San Francisco Bay Guardian
- SF Weekly
- San Francisco Examiner
- Central City Extra covers the Tenderloin, Sixth Street and Civic Center.
- More local Bay Area newspapers
- Fusion is a massive multidisciplinary database which searches dozens of individual library databases at the same time. Search Fusion to find books, newspapers, magazines, and scholarly journal articles.
- Images of America library database includes entire books and chapters on San Francisco neighborhoods, historical events, organizations, and ethnic groups.
- The San Francisco Chronicle contains full page and article images (PDF) of the San Francisco Chronicle, with searchable full text, for articles from 1869-present.
The USF Library’s catalog, Ignacio, lists all of the books and videos we own and all of the periodicals to which we subscribe. Also, you can access LINK+ from Ignacio, which lets you borrow books from other libraries.
Sample San Francisco searches in Ignacio:
- For specific titles, do a Title Search: Hollow City
- For topics, do a Keyword or Subject Search: San Francisco gentrification
- To view subtopics on San Francisco, do a Subject Search on San Francisco to see subjects like San Francisco African Americans, San Francisco Architecture, San Francisco Working Class, San Francisco Labor Movementand others.
San Francisco Public Library (SFPL)
- SFPL Homepage
- Neighborhood Branches may have local papers and community information files. They might collect information on the history or current conditions of the neighborhood.
- San Francisco Community Services Directory Information about social service organizations in the neighborhoods. (Please note that this directory is maintained for historical reference only. No records have been updated since March 2009.)
- San Francisco Historical Photographs Collection A database of old photographs of San Francisco, to give you a visual sense of how neighborhoods have changed.
- American FactFinder The web site from the United States Census Bureau. Includes demographic data that can be broken down by San Francisco (city and county), census tract, and census block data.
- SF Find merges census, government and city data all in one platform specifically designed for the city of San Francisco.
- San Francisco Indicator Project provides access to hard-to-find community data on the environment, transportation, education, the economy, and housing, often broken down by neighborhood.
- Health Matters in San Francisco Get a snap shot of the health status and quality of life in San Francisco by neighborhood, using easy-to-interpret color-coded gauges and maps.
- San Francisco Local Homeless Coordinating Board On this website you can find the annual homeless count, with data by Supervisor district.
- San Francisco Crime Data find data on crime in the vicinity of any San Francisco address.
- San Francisco crime and arrest statistics by SFPD station.
- City and County of San Francisco The web site of the government of the City and County of San Francisco. Links to lots of city government agencies and their web sites, which produce or sponsor reports such as the following:
- DataSF Central clearinghouse for data produced by the City and County of San Francisco
- San Francisco History Association This website includes links for a variety of San Francisco history topics.
photo credit: flickr/Glenn Halog