ENGL 211: Asian American Literature
- Literature Resource Center (LRC) http://www.usfca.edu/Library/databases/Literature_Resource_Center A full-text literature database that includes biographical and contextual information on authors, as well as excerpts of literary criticism and critical essays on their works (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, history, and journalism).
- MLA International Bibliography http://www.usfca.edu/Library/databases/MLA_International_Bibliography The largest and most comprehensive database covering scholarship in the modern languages, linguistics, literature, folklore, and drama, including film, opera, radio, television and theater. Literary criticism and literary theory are covered extensively. Contains bibliographical records or citations dating from 1963 to the present. Unlike Literature Resource Center, this database only contains bibliographic citations.
Journal, Magazine, & Newspaper Articles
These databases index popular magazines, research journals and newspapers. They contain abstracts and citations, as well as some full-text articles. They can be useful for finding critical articles as well as book reviews.
- Academic Search Complete
- Ethnic News Watch Full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines, and journal of the ethnic and minority press.
- JSTOR Archive of selected, core, scholarly journals in many disciplines including the arts and sciences.
- Google Scholar Search engine for scholarly articles across many disciplines.
Subject specific databases
- SocINDEX with Full Text Citations and abstracts to the world's literature in sociology and related disciplines.
- America: History and Life Citations and abstracts on all aspects of U.S. and Canadian history, culture, and current affairs.
San Francisco Newspapers
- San Francisco Chronicle Archive (1869-present)
Search Ignacio , the library’s catalog for books, videos and titles of journals on the library's home page.
Keywords: try combining different words and phrases (for example: Chinese and exclusion)
Subject Headings: try more general topics like Asian Americans California or Chinese American Women
Don’t forget to use Link+ to access books from 40+ libraries!
Here is a sampling of reference books in our library:
- Asian American Literature: Reviews and Criticism of Works by American Writers of Asian Descent REF PS 153 .A84 A82 1999
- Encyclopedia of Asian-American Literature REF PS 153 A84 O37 3007
- American Ethnic Writers 2 volumes. REF PS 153 .M56 A414 2000
- The Asian American Encyclopedia 6 volumes. REF E184 .O6 A827 1995
- Reference Library of Asian America 3 volumes. REF E184. O6 A824 1996
- Asian American Almanac Ref E1184 .O6 A823 1996
- American Immigrant Cultures: Builders of a Nation 2 volumes. REF E184 .A1 A63448 1997
- Dictionary of Asian American History REF E184 .O6 D53 1986
- The Asian Databook Detailed statistics and rankings on the Asian and Pacific Islander population, including 23 ethnic backgrounds from Bangladeshi to Vietnamese, for 1,883 U.S. counties and cities.
REF E184 .A75 2005
- Gale Virtual Reference Library Database of over 80 online encyclopedias; good for finding background information on a topic.
Statistics and Demographics
- Facts About the Asian/Pacific Islander Population http://www.census.gov/newsroom/minority_links/asian.html
- RAND State Statistics
- Calisphere http://www.calisphere.universityofcalifornia.edu/calcultures/ Selected primary sources relating to Asian Americans in California.
- Southeast Asian Archives, UC Irvine http://special.lib.uci.edu/collections/seaa/
- American Women’s History Research Guide: Asian American Women www.mtsu.edu/~kmiddlet/history/women/wh-asian.html
- San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection http://sflib1.sfpl.org:82/