Eighteenth Century Collections Online
Digital images of every page of 150,000 books published during the 18th Century. With full-text searching of approximately 33 million pages--in essence, every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in the United Kingdom, along with thousands of important works from the Americas.
The value of this collection is that it makes available online hard-to-find material in every academic discipline, including:
- History and Geography: Ancient and contemporary history, accounts of voyages and discoveries, historical biographies and memoirs, genealogical collections, gazetteers, works on church antiquities and tourist guides of Britain. Topics include chronologies, recreation (travel, sports, parlor games), military history, maps, local history and topography. It should also be noted that this collection presents a comprehensive picture of the American Revolution from the British perspective.
- Social Science: Materials on manufacturers and merchants, artisans and skilled workers, and international business, banking, taxation and lotteries. Topics include current events, social reform, business/economics/finance (general advertising, lotteries, trade bills and more), political science (parliamentary papers, political satire, political essays, speech/addresses, handbills, parish registers, poll books and more).
- Fine Arts, Music, Art and Architecture: Treatises on music, painting, theater and architecture as well as books on building and carpentry, catalogs pertaining to vocal and instrumental music, paintings, prints, drawings, coins and metals and other collectibles, and material about private art collections.
- Medicine, Science and Technology: Many branches of science, works on applied science and technology, and works and treatises on the treatment of diseases and conditions. Topics include agriculture, cookbooks, military technology, natural philosophy, scientific education and more.
- Literature and Language: Celebrated eighteenth-century essayists, novelists, poets and playwrights, as well as Shakespeare's plays, poems and collected works. Topics include drama, poetry, ballads, religious poems, grammar, dictionaries, songs from plays, satire, book catalogues and more.
- Religion and Philosophy: From sermons, Bibles and prayer books to moral and ethical debates and prescriptions for proper conduct.
- Law: Development of law in the British Empire between 1701 and 1800. Topics include acts, criminal and international law, appellants' cases and more.
- Reference: Ephemeral material on the whole of life in the eighteenth century. Topics include almanacs, catalogues and more.