General California Government Resources
- California State Government Homepage is the main portal for California government information.
- California Directory of State Agencies
- California State and Local Government on the Net connects to home pages of California state agencies, regional government associations, counties, and cities.
- State Telephone Directory publishes state employee and agency information as well as a State Government Organization Chart.
- California State Library is the central reference and research library for state government.
- California QuickFacts from the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Rand State Statistics provides data on business & economics, population & demographics, education, quality of life, health, and politics.
- California Statistical Abstract is an annual report that compiles data on social, economic, and physical aspects of the State from various government agencies. Published by the California Department of Finance. Available online from 2000 to 2009. Available in print at Gleeson Library from 1961 to 2003.
- A Portrait of California
- Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC), a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank, surveys and researches everything from elections to youth sports in California.
- California Department of Education offers information about elementary and secondary education in California.
- Ed-Data publishes data on state school demographics.
- California Environmental Protection Agency
- CEQAnet Database contains key information from all California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documents submitted to the State Clearinghouse for state review since 1990.
Finance and Budget Information
- California State Budget
- California Local Government Finance Almanac has data, statistics, analyses, and articles on California city and county finance.
- Legislative Analyst's Office serves as the "eyes and ears" for the Legislature to ensure that the executive branch is implementing legislative policy in a cost efficient and effective manner. The office carries out this legislative oversight function by reviewing and analyzing the operations and finances of California's government.
- California Budget Project engages in independent fiscal and policy analysis and public education with the goal of improving public policies affecting the economic and social well-being of low- and middle-income Californians.
Legislation and Regulations
- California Field Opinion Polls, compiled by UC Berkeley, provides online searching and analysis of the opinions of Californians from 1956 to 2006.
- Statewide Surveys, conducted by the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC), provide independent, objective, nonpartisan information on the social, economic, and political attitudes and policy preferences underlying ballot choices in statewide races and citizens' initiatives.
Local Government in California
California Local Government Documents is a handy collection of California government documents compiled by UC Berkeley which includes: