Law ITS Help Desk
Technology supports and enhances the educational, research, and scholarly pursuits of the law school's students and faculty.
Zief Library, 117
Classrooms at Kendrick Hall offer power and wireless access, as well as audio-visual equipment. The Dorraine Zief Law Library, which also offers power and both wireless and wired connections, features individual and group study rooms with audio-visual equipment, computer classrooms, and a computer lab. The library provides academic training software to supplement courses and connects to countless online resources.
Many of our faculty members integrate technology into their teaching—using the internet and multimedia tools to enhance student experiences. For example, some faculty create virtual classrooms to distribute assignments and materials, conduct online discussions, and communicate with students.
The USF School of Law's Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to assisting faculty and students utilize technology to achieve educational goals. Our ITS staff provides computer advice and classroom tech support. Though they are not available to provide extensive service for non-USF computers, the staff is capable of helping with many personal computer problems, such as configuring a connection to the network or assisting in the event of a laptop malfunction.
USF Student Computer Specifications
PC Minimum Requirements
- CPU: 2GHz Intel® Core™/Celeron™ or equivalent x86 processor
- RAM: Highest recommended for the operating system or 2GB
- Hard Drive: Highest recommended for the operating system or 1 GB of free space.
- Operating System: English editions of Windows XP (32-bit only), Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
- ExamSoft does not support Tablet-PC's
- Screen Resolution: 1024x768 or higher
Macintosh Minimum Requirements
Classroom computers have Microsoft Office installed and cannot be used for Apple Keynote presentations.
- CPU: Intel processor
- RAM: 2 GB
- Hard Drive: 1 GB or higher free disk space
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), and 10.9 (Mavericks)
- VGA adapter (Required if using your laptop for classroom presentations.)
Zief 038 - 1 multi-function printer
Zief 104 - 3 multi-function printers
Zief 209 - 2 multi-function printers
Kendrick Locker Area - 1 multi-function printer
Additional Information About Law ITS Services
Computer and Software Discounts
- Students and faculty are eligible for a limited selection of free Microsoft software, including Windows 7, through their DreamSpark program which can be accessed here: DreamSpark.
- Students, faculty, staff and alumni can get USF-negotiated discount prices on computers, personal electronics, software, services, and more using the USF eStore.
Connecting to the Internet
- Internet access is available via the USFwireless network in most areas of Kendrick Hall and the Zief Law Library. Once connected, open an internet browser and authenticate with your USFconnect username and password.
- Please note that the wireless network is not secured to guard against data eavesdropping.
Antivirus and Anti-Malware
- Please be sure that you have an antivirus and anti-malware product installed and configured to automatically update on your machine.
- If you do not have an anti-virus program, USF offers a copy of the Sophos Anti-Virus program to current students for their personal computer. You will need to log in using your USF username and password. If you need assistance, please contact the Law ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Remember to uninstall any previous antivirus software before you install the university-supplied copy.
Backup Your Data
- Do not risk losing your data! Always do a backup of your important data. There are online solutions such as Google Drive and Dropbox which provide free accounts with 2GB or more of storage space.