Assistant Professor Thomas A. Nazario is the executive director of the Center for Community Legal Education and he supervises the Street Law Program. He is also the program director of USF's Tibetan Children Education Project. Nazario has been a Robert F. Kennedy Fellow and a consultant for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
- BA, City University of New York
- MA, City University of New York
- JD, University of San Francisco
- Prior Experience
- Senior Trainer, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Assistant Deputy Public Defender, San Francisco
- Lecturer, Law and Sociology, Sociology Dept., USF
- Children and the Law
- Awards & Distinctions
Nazario's book "Living on a Dollar a Day" won the IPA’s Best Documentary Book Award for 2014. The award ceremony was held at Carnegie Hall in New York on November 2nd and was called the Lucie Awards.
Nazario's book, "Living on a Dollar a Day: The Lives and Faces of the World's Poor," won the prestigious International Book Award for Non-Fiction Narrative Writing for 2015.
- Nine Part Curriculum for Teens on the Law ( Mc-Graw Hill , 2001) (Published as Justice in Action)
- In Defense of Children: Understanding the Rights, Needs, and Interests of the Child: A Resource for Parents and Professionals (New York: Scribner's , 1988) (Co-authored with Pamela Blum, Steven Hirschfeld, and Patricia Henderson Miljanich.)
- Law Review and Journal Articles
- “What Do We Know About Delinquency?,” 12 Update on Law-Related Education 8 (1988).
- “What Teachers, Parents, and Kids Should Know About Drinking and Drugs,” 12 Update on Law-Related Education 4 (1988).
- Book Contributions
- “Law Related Externships for High School Students” in Building Bridges to the Law edited by Charles White (Chicago: American Bar Association , 1981) (Co-authored with Sally Ackerley and Elizabeth Benford.)
- Opinion Pieces and Blog Posts
- “Rights of Children”, California Bar Journal (March 1995)
- “When Your Ex Won't Pay”, Parents Magazine (March 1991)
- Other Publications
- "The Sexual Harassment of Students: Fact, Law, and Policy," San Francisco Unified School District, 2005
- "A Generation in Peril: The Lives of Tibetan Children Under Chinese Rule," International Committee of Lawyers for Tibet, 2001 (United Nations report presented to the Committee on the Rights of the Child by the International Committee of Lawyers for Tibet.)
- California Supplement to Street Law: A Course in Practical Law, St. Paul, Minn.: West, Fifth Edition 1997 (With Christine Scarpello)
- "Kids and the Law: an A-to-Z Guide for Parents," State Bar of California, 1996
- "Teenage Pregnancy, Single Parents, and the Law: A Legal Guide for Those Who Work With California's Youth," (California Alliance Concerned with School Age Parents, 1995)
- Presenter, “Putting a Face on Poverty,” Stanford University Forum on World Poverty, “Global Solidarity, Human Rights, and the End of Poverty,” Palo Alto, Calif. (April 2008)
- Presenter, “Living on A Dollar A Day,” City Club of Los Angeles, “Assuming Leadership on the Toughest Issues,” Los Angeles, Calif. (July 2014)
- "Photos Reveal the Harsh Reality of Extreme Poverty Around the World", ABC News, 05/27/2014
- "Riverside Students Address Global Poverty", The Greenville News, 10/07/2013