Litigation and Trial Advocacy
As a trial advocate, you’ll have the powerful opportunity to stand up in court on behalf of clients, representing them so that, win or lose, they know their voice was heard. In the classroom at USF, our experienced faculty will teach you the theoretical foundation for litigation and trial techniques and strategies. Through our practical courses and in our Moot Court room, you’ll develop critical practical skills in gathering information, marshaling facts, making persuasive arguments, and making real life court appearances.
The Advocate of the Year Competition provides an opportunity for students to develop and showcase their oral advocacy skills. Our intramural appellate advocacy competition is open to all upper division students who have completed the first year Spring Moot Court Program.
Our Intensive Advocacy Program is a two-week intensive course, focusing on litigation and trial techniques and strategies. This program brings seasoned lawyers and judges from across the nation to train law students in the art of advocacy.
Your education will extend beyond the classroom when you take advantage of our extensive externships program. With our central location in one of the world’s most dynamic cities, upper-division students have broad access to leading courts, firms, and agencies where they gain useful practical experience and make meaningful professional connections, while earning academic credit. Our very active clinics provide hands-on experiences to students who take a leadership role in cases and learn the problem solving, strategizing, and advocacy skills they will need in their careers.
- Appellate Advocacy
- California Civil Discovery
- California Civil Procedure
- Civil Procedure
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Practical Litigation Skills
- Trial Advocacy and the Ethical Prosecutor
- Trial Practice
- Joshua Davis is an expert on complex litigation, ethics, and the interplay between the two
- Amy Flynn focuses on legal research, writing, and analysis
- Robert Talbot is an expert on clinic education
- Criminal and Juvenile Justice Law Clinic
- Advocate of the Year Competition
- Intensive Advocacy Program
- Moot Court Program
- Andrus Anderson LLP
- Arns Law Firm
- Brandi Law Firm
- San Francisco City Attorney’s Office
- Superior Court of California, County of San Francisco
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Veen Law Firm
- Criminal Law Society