Estate Planning and Family Law
Family law leaves a lasting impact on the lives of clients. At USF, you’ll develop the foundation you’ll need to support parents and children in a range of legal situations, from marriage to non-traditional partnerships, paternity proceedings to child abuse and neglect, and more.
Under the guidance of leading scholars, students begin with the fundamentals and then delve deep into advanced family law issues. To complement a world-class classroom education, we offer several opportunities for becoming practice-ready upon graduation.
Our very active clinics provide hands-on experiences to students who take a leadership role in cases and learn the problem solving, strategizing, and advocacy skills they will need in their careers. Through the Criminal and Juvenile Justice Law Clinic, they represent defendants in juvenile court delinquency proceedings.
Our externships offer upper-division students the opportunity to gain useful practical skills and make meaningful professional connections, while earning academic credit. At the center of one of the world’s most dynamic cities, you’ll have easy access to leading organizations and law firms.
"My hands-on experiences in the clinics make me a more valuable hire, as compared to someone who's only had classroom or theoretical experience."
-Jade Quintero '18
- Community Property
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- Health Law
- Juvenile Law
- Sexuality Law
- Wills and Trusts
- Maya Manian focuses on access to reproductive healthcare, reproductive rights, and gender equality
- Lara Bazelon is an expert in criminal procedure and juvenile law
- Julie Nice is a leading scholar on constitutional law, poverty law, and sexuality law
- Robert Talbot is an expert on clinical education and director of five law clinics and projects
- Michelle Travis is an expert on employment law with a focus on disability discrimination, sex discrimination, and work/family balance
- Criminal and Juvenile Justice Law Clinic
- Alameda County Family Justice Center
- Delagnes, Mitchell, and Linder LLP
- Family Law Group
- Kaye, Moser, Hierbaum LLP
- San Francisco Superior Court—Family Division
- Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo, Probate Division
- Estate Planning and Tax Society
- Family Law Society
- If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice
- Youth Advocacy Association