Reasons to migrate from local file storage
- Users can access their files via secure, restricted access.
- Workgroups can share data via secure, restricted access which can be customized
to meet each department's needs.
- If desktop computer is down or hard drive fails, data is stored safely on
- Data is backed up nightly; recovery services are available.
- Data is available on local PC, and from multiple campus locations.
- Off-campus access is available to PC users running Windows XP
and above and Macintosh users running OS X.
- Secure off-campus access to files is available via the Remote Access Client (VPN).
* Staff and Faculty of Arts and Sciences who would like to use centralized
file sharing should contact their Systems Administrator and ask to be placed
on "Galileo." To contact the Arts and Sciences Systems Administrator,
please call the Dean's office at (415) 422-6373. you may also request access through the ITS Help Desk, which will forward requests to the administrator.
* Staff in Academic Services who would like to use centralized file sharing
should contact their Systems Administrator and ask to be placed on "Regis."
To contact the Academic Services Systems Administrator, please call (415) 422-2094.
How to set up Jade as your file server
- Contact the ITS Help Desk at (415) 422-6668 to set up an interview appointment.
Let the Help Desk staff know that you are interested in setting up a file
share using Jade.
- Before the interview, please have as much of the following information handy.
If you do not know all the answers to these questions, we can help you during
- Background Information:
a) What Department/Division/College will this file share be used for?
b) Who is the primary contact?
c) Number of users that would use this file share?
d) List of names and usernames that will be accessing this file share.
- Determine user needs:
a) What platform are you using: PC, Mac, both?
b) Do you currently use file sharing? If you answered yes, what
is the name of your current server?
c) Is this file share just a department share and home directories, or
will there also be restricted shares?
d) What is the size of the folder that you would like to place on the
e) what type of files that you would like to place on the file server?
(database, graphics files, etc.).
Note: For storing media files, please submit a project request as it will require ITS assessment and approval. The cost for storage and backup would be funded by the requesting Department/Division/College.