If you are interested in coming to USF as a visiting scholar to teach or conduct research, please contact the appropriate academic department first. You will need the support of the USF department to sponsor your visa status. Once a department has agreed to sponsor you, you will begin the process for getting your paperwork to apply for your visa status.

J-1 Scholars can come to the United States in different categories depending on the reason for their visit. What you will do while at USF will determine the terms of the program and the visa category.

Please note: It is not possible for ISSS to start this process before the department has officially agreed to be the visa sponsor.

Contact Info

International Student and Scholar Services

Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

University Center 5th Floor (415) 422-2654 (415) 422-2412