IEP students at Giants game
Three in crossroads

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Intensive English Program?

The Intensive English Program (IEP) is a non-credit, non-degree program for individuals who wish to improve their English for academic, professional or personal reasons. Admission to the IEP is separate from admission to a USF degree program and does not guarantee admission at a later time.

What are the admission requirements for the IEP?

Students must be at least 18 years of age and/or have completed their secondary education.

How do I apply to the IEP?

All prospective IEP students must Apply Online.  If you have slow Internet, or connection issues, you can download an Application Form and submit it to To receive an I-20, IEP applicants also need to submit a Certification of Finance form, bank letter or statement, and a copy of their passport identity page.

When are the application deadlines?

The IEP has rolling admissions; therefore, students may apply at any time. Students who require an I-20 should apply at least 8 weeks before the beginning of the term they wish to attend to allow sufficient time for visa processing.

Can I join classes after the beginning of a term?

No. IEP students must join classes at the beginning of a term. Students are not permitted to join the IEP late.

What kind of Visa do I need to enroll in the IEP?

All international students require an F-1 student visa to pursue a full-time course of study in the IEP.

How many levels of English are there?

The IEP offers high-beginner, intermediate, and advanced level English courses.

Do I need a TOEFL or IELTS score to apply to the IEP?

A TOEFL score is not required for admission to the IEP. You will need a TOEFL or IELTS score to apply to a degree seeking program at the University of San Francisco.

How will my English level be determined?

An English placement test is administered to all new students on their first day of class.

What is the average class size?

The average class size is 15. The maximum class size is 20.

Where are IEP students from?

The IEP has a diverse student population. Typically, students in the IEP come from Asia, South America, Europe and the Middle East.

What are housing IEP housing options?

On-campus housing is available to IEP students during the summer program only. To apply for summer housing, please visit the Office of Residence Life website. Students are responsible for finding off-campus accommodation. Homestays may be arranged through local homestay agencies (not affiliated with USF). For a list of local homestay agencies, please contact the IEP program office.

Do IEP students have access to USF facilities?

IEP students have full access to the USF Gleeson Library / Geschke Center, all computer labs on campus, and the Koret Recreation Center.

Can IEP students work on campus?

IEP students may not work on (or off) campus.

Can IEP students join USF clubs and organizations?

Yes, IEP students may join USF clubs and organizations. For a list or clubs and organizations, click here.

Is there an orientation for IEP students?

Orientation for the summer program is held on the first day of each summer session.

After I complete the IEP can I enroll in a USF degree program?

Admission to the IEP is separate from admission to USF degree programs. To apply to a degree program, students must submit a degree application to the USF Admissions office. To be eligible for admission to a degree program, students must meet the necessary TOEFL and academic requirements. For information about degree admission, please visit the USF Admissions website.

Is financial aid available to IEP students?

Financial aid and scholarships are not available to IEP students.

Do I need health insurance?

IEP students must purchase the University-sponsored health insurance prior to registration. Health insurance information and enrollment instructions are included in student acceptance packets. Overseas/travel health insurance is not accepted at USF. With USF sponsored health insurance, IEP students have access to the USF Health Clinic at St. Mary's Hospital.

Will I receive a certificate or diploma at the end of the IEP?

IEP students who successfully complete the program will receive a Certificate of Participation at the end of the term.

Can I request an official transcript from my studies in the IEP?

IEP students can request an official transcript from the One Stop Enrollment and Financial Services office.