View Phelan's History, Facts and Amenities
Located in the center of campus, Phelan Hall is just steps away from the bookstore, classroom buildings, and dining locations. This residence hall houses a dynamic community where students can discover a sense of belonging at USF.
Built in 1955, Phelan Hall is the university's first student residence hall. Named for James Phelan, graduate of St. Ignatius College, three-time mayor of San Francisco, and U.S. senator from California, Phelan Hall was dedicated during the university's centennial celebration. The convenient location as well as recent renovations make this residence hall popular among students. In addition to offering student housing, the original design also included a student dining room, which was later converted into conference rooms for the McLaren Center. Phelan Hall has also been home to University Ministry;and the USF bookstore, which was relocated to University Center in 2011.
Summer Housing Residence in 2015
Phelan Hall will be the residence for summer school students beginning on
Saturday, May 23rd at 5:00pm and ending on Saturday, August 15th at
12:00noon. The building's population will be co-ed with single-sex
floors for the duration of the summer term.
Facts and Amenities
- First year students (Required) and students who are under 21 years old and with fewer than 60 cumulative credits.
- 550 residents
- 2015-16 changes: Continuing students and students who are under 21 years old with fewer than 60 cumulative credits.
- Co-ed (co-ed floors), Single-sex by room
- Doubles, and triples available
- 7 floors
- Esther Madriz Scholars
- Fulton St, near Clayton St
- Adjoined to McLaren Conference Center and Malloy Hall
- Adjacent to University Center and Memorial Gym
- Closest dining facility: The Market Cafe
2345 Golden Gate Avenue, Room #
San Francisco, CA 94118
View University of San Francisco in a larger map
- 24-hr front desk
- Key card required to access residential floors
- Key card and code required to access rooms
- Ethernet ports in each room
- WiFi throughout building
- 6 student lounges
- Kitchen with refrigerator, stovetop, oven, and microwave
- Laundry room (accepts coins and Don Dollars)
- Cable TV connector in each room
- Flat screen TVs in lounges
- Ping pong table