The University of San Francisco offers gender-inclusive housing. You can apply within the housing application and be entered into a lottery for a room in the gender inclusive community.
Gender inclusive housing provides a safe, affirming, and inclusive community living option for students of the following identities and lived experiences:
- Transgender students
- Gender queer students
- Students who are currently transitioning from one gender to another (i.e. transitioning from male to female or female to male)
- Students who do not conform to society’s expectations of their assigned gender at birth
- Students who do not wish to be identified by any sex or gender identity
- Students who are in the process of discovering their gender identity
- Students who appreciate and respect people with the above identities and lived experiences, and who would prefer to live in a community comprised of such
The following are specific qualities of the gender inclusive option:
- Students living in the gender inclusive community may share a room with students of any gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sex
- There are no dedicated male or female bathrooms on the gender inclusive floor. The bathroom is a communal bathroom and is shared by all members of the community (regardless of gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sex)
Community standards include:
- Modeling behavior that reflects a positive value and respect for gender as a non-binary construct (human beings are not necessarily male or female as ascribed by their assigned gender at birth)
- Openness and desire to develop one’s own understanding about gender identity, sexual orientation, and other differences
- Working to create and promote a safe, affirming, and inclusive community for all students
- Use of inclusive and socially just language and the preferred names and gender pronouns of community members
- Education of guests about the values and community expectations of the gender inclusive community
Student Housing and Residential Education (SHaRE)
Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m - 5 p.m.
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117-1045 SHaRE@usfca.edu (415) 422-6824 (415) 422-2480