Kaelyn J Romey
Kaelyn was the former Senior Counsel with the Internal Revenue Service Office of Chief Counsel (Small Business/ Self-Employed Division). She’s an experienced litigator skilled in tax controversy. She developed and drove litigation strategy advising and representing the IRS in complex tax litigation matters before the U.S. Tax Court. Executed case strategies and insightful case development during tax audits for special agents. Cases involved international collection efforts, fraud, evidentiary disputes, summons enforcement, structured transactions, and civil and international penalties.
Throughout her academic and professional careers, she has been an active leader on committees and in volunteer efforts for state and local bar associations.
Currently, Kaelyn is also an instructor for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA), providing nationwide trainings in tax litigation, conducting online proceedings, deposition skills, and trial advocacy.
- Federal income tax
- Trial Advocacy
- Tax Litigation
- Evidence Rules & Procedure
- Generation Citizen Non-Profit Board, Board Member 2020-2020
- American Bar Association 2001-2020, Litigation Section, Criminal Tax Co-Chair;
- California Bar Association (*California Lawyers Association) 2013-2020 - Tax Executive Committee, Advisor & Board Member
- Queen's Bench Bar Association, Educational Committee, Board Member 2019- 2020
- Association of American Law Schools (AALS) 2018- 2020 - Evidence Section, Treasurer Woman in Legal Education, Committee Member
- San Francisco Bar Association, Barristers (BASF) 2003-2014
- UC Santa Barbara, BA in Law & Society
- University of San Diego School of Law, JD
- University of San Diego School of Law, LLM
- Director of Litigation Center, GGU School of Law
- Faculty, GGU School of Law
- Senior Counsel, Chief Counsel Internal Revenue Service, SBSE
- Adjunct Faculty, Hastings College of Law
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Santa Clara College of Law
Awards & Distinctions
- Queens Bar Association, Rookie of the Year - Outstanding Dedication & Service. 2019
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Master Advocate Designation - Advanced Training. 2016
- Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF), Barrister of the Year - Outstanding Years of Service. 2011
- Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF), Public Service Award - Outstanding Volunteer. 2013-2015
- Kaelyn J. Romey, No More Document Dumps or Secret Subpoenas: Amending the U.S. Tax Court Rules to Conform to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Streamlining Pretrial Discovery, 4 BUS. ENTREPRENEURSHIP & TAX L. REV. 107 (2020).