Professor Merchant started a second career in nursing after graduating from USF in 2004, after first working on a medical/surgical ward in a community hospital and becoming interested in neuroscience nursing. She obtained a CNRN (Certified Neuroscience Registered Nursing) certification in 2010 and went on to work primarily with Parkinson disease and other movement disorder patients. She has also done volunteer work with the Northern California Epilepsy Foundation.
- University of San Francisco, MSN in Nursing, 2004
- Registered Nurse, UCSF Movement Disorder and Neuromodulation Center
- Registered Nurse and Back Office Supervisor, Parkinson Clinic
- “Palliative Care for Parkinson’s Disease Patients: Developing the Nursing Role” K. Merchant and G. Bringas-Cinco, Poster presentation at the March 2018 Annual Educational Meeting of the AANN
- “Use of Rytary™ (Carbidopa-Levodopa ER) for Parkinson’s Disease after Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery” Poster presentation at the 4th World Parkinson Conference, Portland, Oregon Sept 2016
- “An Outpatient Clinical Tool to Guide Sleep Interventions for Parkinson’s Disease Patients” M. Bowers, K. Merchant, Poster presentation at the March 2014 Annual Educational Meeting of the AANN.
- “Thoracolumbar Spine Surgery: A Guide to Preoperative and Postoperative Patient Care” AANN Publication, Jan. 2012. (Co-authored 3 separate sections)
- “Implementing a Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Program in a County Hospital”. K. Merchant, A. LaBorde, Journal of Nursing Administration, 2005, 35 (9): 404-409.