Dr. D’Alfonso holds a doctor of nursing practice (DNP) with a focus in executive leadership from the University of San Francisco, where he serves as adjunct faculty for the School of Nursing and Health Professions. Jim was also granted an honorary PhD by Dr. Jean Watson and The Watson Caring Science Institute for his life-long work and scholarly contributions to Caring Science. He is a board-certified nurse executive, WCSI Caritas Coach, master HeartMath trainer, and a distinguished fellow of the Nursing Academies of Practice.
Jim is president-elect of the USF's Beta Gamma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International. His current scholarly interests include workforce development, quantum caring leadership, theory integration into clinical practice, and building synergies between DNP and PhD nurses in advancing professional practice and quality outcomes.
- Watson Caring Science Institute, Board of Directors, 2019
- Association of California Nurse Leaders, CNE Curriculum Design Committee
- University of Colorado, President Advisory Board for Caring Science Programs, 2015
- DNP, University of San Francisco
- PhD, Watson Caring Science Institute
- MSN, University of Phoenix, Denver
- BSN, University of Phoenix, Denver
- Diploma of Nursing, Allentown Hospital School of Nursing, Allentown, PA
- Designed and taught the University of San Diego, Hahn School of Nursing's Clinical Nurse Leader Program in 2004-2006.
- Adjunct Faculty at several Nursing and Allied Health Programs in Colorado and Southern California, subjects that included adult education, theory integration, leadership, pharmacology, perioperative nursing and innovation.
Awards & Distinctions
Exemplary Clinical Practice Partnership Award presented by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), 2018
Telly Award for a non-broadcast documentary on KP’s Legacy of Nursing., 2017
A Systems Approach to Cultivate a Flourishing Nurse Workforce, June 2019, The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Slack Publishers
Ripe for Disruption? Adopting Nurse-led Data Science and Artificial Intelligence to Predict and Reduce Hospital-Acquired Outcomes in the Learning Health System, June 2019, Nursing Administration Quarterly, LWW Publishers
Kaiser's School of Nursing: A 70-Year Legacy of Disruptive Innovation, Jan-Mar 2018, Nursing Administration Quarterly