- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Asia Pacific Studies, USF
- Research Fellow, Kyoto University
- Japanese Studies Specialist, Japan Foundation Kansai Institute
- University of Montreal, PhD in Anthropology, 2019
- UC Santa Barbara, MA in Anthropology, 2006
- Christian Brothers University, BS in Biology, 2001
- Adjunct Professor in Anthropology, LaSalle College
- Adjunct Professor in Asian Studies, University of Montreal
- Adjunct Professor in Anthropology, University of Montreal
- Cultural Anthropology
- Asian Studies
- Food Studies
- Food Culture
- Korean Diaspora
- Ethnic and Racial Discrimination
- Selected Publications
“In Search of Umami: Product Rebranding and the Global Circulation of the Fifth Taste.” Accepted in Food, Culture, and Society. ISSN: 1552-8014.
“Diaspora, Exclusion, and Appropriation: The Cuisine of the Korean Minority in Japan." Asian Pacific Perspectives 16 (2). ISSN: 2167-1699.
“From Colonization to Zaitokukai: The Legacy of Racial Oppression in the Lives of Koreans in Japan.” Xavier Robillard-Martel and Christopher Laurent. Asian Ethnicity 21 (3): 393–412.
“The Many Lives of Mustards: Journey of a Familiar Condiment.” Cuizine: The Journal of Canadian Food Studies 4 (2).
- Awards & Distinctions
SSHRC Research Grant, 2018
Oxford Symposium of Food & Cookery Award, 2016
Japan Foundation Fellowship Award, 2015