Alexa Curtis, PhD, MPH, FNP-BC
Professor; Associate Dean — Graduate Nursing
Cowell Hall, 225
Alexa C. Curtis received her PhD in nursing from the University of California, San Francisco in the Department of Community Health Systems. She is a practicing family and psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner at a substance use disorder facility in rural Northern California. Her area of interest includes improving access to under-served populations through advanced practice nursing services, particularly for rural youth and other vulnerable populations in rural communities.
- Rural health
- Adolescent health
- Substance Use Disorders
- Healthcare Workforce Development
- Project Director, HRSA Advanced Nursing Education Workforce
- Director, Youth Resiliency Service, Granite Wellness Centers
- Co-chair, Health Practice and Policy Committee, California Association for Nurse Practitioners
- Family/Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Granite Wellness Centers
- PhD, Nursing, Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco
- PMHNP Post-doctoral Certificate, University of San Francisco
- MPH, University of San Francisco
- MS, Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner, University of San Diego
- BS, Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
- Director of Nurse Practitioner Programs, University of San Francisco
- Associate Professor and Graduate Nursing Coordinator, Sacramento State University
Awards & Distinctions
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Fellow, 2021
- California Association of Nurse Practitioners, Bridging Health Care Needs, 2020
- Association of California Nurse Leaders; Sacramento/Sierra Chapter, Professional Educator Award, 2020
- American Society of Healthcare Publication Editors, Best Legislative/Government Article 2: Silver Award, 2019
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Fellow; Leadership in Academic Nursing, 2015
- Curtis, A.C, Werder, K., Reynolds S. & Satterfield, J. (2021). Questioning Precedent in Unprecedented Times: Psychosocial Interventions Supporting Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (MOUD). Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services.
- Curtis, A.C. & Keeler, C. (2021). Measurement in nursing research. American Journal of Nursing, 212 (6), 53-57.
- Curtis, A.C. & Keeler, C. (2021). Sampling design in nursing research. American Journal of Nursing, 121(3), 53-57.
- Curtis, A.C., Satre, D., Khanh, Ly, Wamsley, M. & Satterfield. J. (2019). A mobile app to promote alcohol and drug SBIRT skill translation among multi-disciplinary health care trainees: Results of a randomized controlled trial. Substance Abuse.
- Curtis, A.C., Khanh, L., Satre, D.D., Wamsely, M. & Satterfield, J. (2019). Implementation of alcohol and drug screening, brief intervention and referral to treatment (SBIRT): Nurse practitioner learner perspectives on a mobile app. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 31(4), 219-225.
- Curtis, A.C. & Sattler, B. (2018). Organophosphate insecticide exposure: A clinical consideration of chlorpyrifos regulation. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(5), 299- 304.
- Curtis, A.C. (2015). Defining adolescence. Journal of Adolescent and Family Health, 7(2), article 2.
- Curtis, A.C., Waters, C.M. & Brindis, C.D. (2010). Rural adolescent health: The importance of prevention services in the rural community. The Journal of Rural Health, 27(1), 60-71.