Alexa C. Curtis received her PhD in nursing from the University of California, San Francisco in the Department of Community Health Systems. She is a practicing family nurse practitioner at a Federally Qualified Rural Health Center in Northern California. Her area of interest includes improving access to under-served populations through advance practice nursing services, particularly for rural youth and other vulnerable populations in rural communities.
- PhD, Nursing, Community Health Systems, University of California, San Francisco
- MPH, University of San Francisco
- MS, Nursing, Family Health Clinical Specialist, University of San Diego
- BS, Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
- Rural health
- Adolescent health
- Community based participatory research to improve the provision of health care services for the vulnerable populations in the rural community
- Selected Publications
Curtis, A.C. (2014). Advanced Practice Nursing Education: Commonalities and Collaborations. Excellence in Nursing Symposium. Bwindi, Uganda.
Curtis, A.C. (2013). Health promotion in the rural community. In Raingruber, B. (Ed.), Health Promotion: The foundation of nursing practice. Boston, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
Curtis, A.C., Waters, C.M. & Brindis, C.D. (2010). Rural adolescent health: The importance of prevention services in the rural community. The Journal of Rural Health, 27(1), 60-71. DOI:10.1111/j.1748-0361.2010.00319.x
Lyn, B, & Curtis, A. (2009). CASA and physically challenged youth. The Connection, Spring, 2009. 5-6.
Curtis, A.C., Waters, C.M. & Brindis C.D. (2008). The health of rural adolescents in California: Analysis of the 2005 California Health Interview survey. Conference presentation: California State Rural Health Association annual meeting. Sacramento, CA.
Curtis, A.C. (2008). Health and its Contextual Determinants in Rural California Adolescents (Doctoral Dissertation, University of California, San Francisco, 2008). Dissertation Abstracts International, 68-11, 7244.
- Awards & Distinctions
- Leadership Education in Adolescent Health Traineeship, UCSF, 2005
- Hometown Hero Award for Service to Community Youth, 2001
- Silver Springs Outstanding Community Partner Award, 1998