CAPS invites registered USF students to schedule an initial intake appointment to speak with one of our counselors and discuss their concerns. During this appointment, the counselor will assist the student in obtaining the appropriate services to address these concerns, through CAPS or elsewhere. CAPS utilizes a short-term model of therapy for individual and couple sessions in order to use its resources most effectively and assist students in addressing issues common in a college setting. CAPS also offers single-session, goal-oriented, focused therapy, group therapy, and workshops.

When the student’s concern requires long-term counseling or a more specialized approach, a referral will be made to an appropriate practitioner, agency, or treatment program outside of USF.

Some Commonly Addressed Issues

  • Personal Issues: Stress and anxiety, depression, anger, loneliness, guilt, self-esteem, grief and loss
  • Relationship Issues: Romantic relationship difficulties, sexual concerns, roommate conflicts, difficulties with with coworkers or classmates, issues with family or friends
  • Developmental Issues: Identity development, adjustment to college, life transitions, cultural concerns
  • Academic Concerns: Performance anxiety, perfectionism, underachievement, motivation
  • Other Issues: Spiritual concerns, body image/food preoccupation, healthy lifestyle choices, mild alcohol and drug use concerns, sexual assault

Please note, CAPS is unable to provide documentation for disability accommodations, release of residence hall contracts, emotional support animals, or study abroad clearance. CAPS or The Office of the Dean of Students can assist students in finding off-campus clinicians to provide such documentation.

Read more about our services and service limitations

Faculty and Staff

For services for faculty and staff, contact CONCERN Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at (800) 344-4222.

Contact Info

Counseling & Psychological Services

Mon–Thurs. 8:30 a.m.–7 p.m.; Fri. 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Evenings by appointment only.

Gillson Hall, Lower Level (415) 422-6352 (415) 422-2260

Emergency Services

For emergencies, call (415) 422-2911 or extension 2911 from any on-campus phone. Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

After Hours Line: 415-422-6352

5 p.m.–8:30 a.m., weekdays. Weekends and holidays: 24 hours.