Minor in Child and Youth Studies
The Interdisciplinary Minor in Child and Youth Studies, which is open to all majors, educates students about the physical, psychological, spiritual, social, and cultural aspects of human development during the first 18 years of life. It integrates the many child- and youth-focused courses and service learning experiences across disciplines within the schools and colleges at USF.
- Students must obtain a "C" grade or better in all courses for the minor.
- At least 12 units must come from courses outside of the student's major department(s) and other academic programs (e.g., Dual Degree Program and minors).
- Students must meet with the Director of the CYS minor before starting the program.
Required (12 units)
- PSYC 101 General Psychology
- PSYC 312 Child Development
- SOC 329 Social Worlds of Children
SOC 229 Diversity of American Families
Electives (8 units - 2 courses)
- COMS 302: Dark Side Interpersonal/Family Comm
- COMS 306: Family Communication
- KIN 300: Motor Development
- KIN 360: Exercise and Healthy Kids
- NURS 331/420: Family Health I
- NURS 341/421: Family Health II
- PSYC 328: Child Psychopathology
- PSYC 369: Child Maltreatment
- SOC 229: Diversity of American Families
- SOC 323: Urban Education
- SOC 329: Social Worlds of Children
- SOC 338: Sociology of Education
- SOC 356: Juvenile Justice
- SOC 390: Sociology of Adolescence
- TEC 611: Education of Bilingual Children
* Nursing only
Departmental Practicum and Internship Experiences (4 units)
- COMS 496 Communication Studies Internship
- DANC 360 Dance in the Community
- KIN 398 Professional Practicum
- INTD 385 DDTP Fieldwork
- INTD 395: Korean Immersion in Teaching
- NURS 351/425 Clinical Lab IV-A *
- NURS 352/426 Clinical Lab IV-B *
- PSYC 396 Psychology Practicum
- SOC 395 Fieldwork in Sociology
- TEC 401 America Reads I A
- TEC 402 America Reads I B
* Nursing only
Department of Kinesiology
Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Office of Child and Youth Studies
Mon-Fri 9:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.
2130 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117-1082 firstname.lastname@example.org (415) 422-5703