Employer Recruitment Policies
- Employment/entrepreneurial opportunities pay a base salary equal to or greater than a minimum wage (currently $16.32/hour in San Francisco, $14.00/hour in California, $7.25/hour Federal) in compliance with city/county/state/federal labor laws and ordinances.
- Employers will not require an initial payment or investment from the job candidate. Initial investment may include, but not be limited to: requirement to attend unpaid (or employee paid) orientation or training, direct payment of a fixed fee (such an application fee) or purchase or rental of a starter kit, sales kit or presentation supplies, as example.
- Employment/entrepreneurial opportunities will not be based on a “pyramid” or “multi-level” type networking structure requiring or encouraging the recruitment of others who recruit others, etc. to sell products or services (e.g. Amway or Mary Kay cosmetics).
- Employer will not “promise” the sponsoring of an H-1B visa or permanent residency (aka green card) in their job description.
- Employer will not list depositing checks or transferring money as part of the job responsibilities, nor ask the candidate to give his/her credit card or bank account numbers, or copies of personal documents.
- Employer shall provide a detailed job description describing the company and listing duties and qualifications. Short and ambiguous job descriptions are unacceptable.
Third-Party Employer Services
The University of San Francisco Career Services Center’s policy states that third-party employers who recruit on behalf of client organizations or for their own internal positions are permitted to only utilize the following recruitment services offered by the Center:
- Approved third-party employers may post positions online in DonsCareers ONLY if offering jobs or internships at their own organization or fully disclose the organization they are assisting in filling opportunities.
- In accord with FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), release candidate information only with written permission of the candidate and only to the identified employer.
Third-party employers WILL NOT be permitted to participate in the following USF Career Services Center services:
- Will not be granted access to search for student resumes and profiles
- Will not be provided with resume books
- Will not be permitted to participate in career fairs, on-campus interview programs, schedule company information sessions, or information tables
- Third-party employers must not require a financial investment or payment by the student or alumni for employment or placement. Under no circumstances should fees be charged to students or alumni. USF will not post any opportunities that require students or alumni to pay fees.
Employers from the Cannabis Industry
University of San Francisco and some of our students are recipients of federal funding. To avoid a conflict in federal and state laws, and to protect our students from potential exposure to federal prosecution by association, the USF Career Services Center is unable to approve employers or job postings involved with the development, production, testing, distribution, or use of recreational or medical marijuana.
**The Career Services Center reserves the right to change, modify or add criteria to the above standards as needed.