Planning ahead is beneficial when researching study abroad options. We highly recommend speaking with your academic advisor about your study abroad plans during your Freshman year. Once you know the courses you need to take to complete your degree requirements, it will help determine the best time to study abroad and which courses to take while abroad.
- Fall 2022
Pre-Application Deadline: Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2021
- Spring 2023
Pre-Application Deadline: Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2022
Applying to study abroad is a two-step process
You should plan to apply at the beginning of the Fall semester of your Sophomore year.
- Students must meet with a Study Abroad Advisor and complete a USF Study Abroad Pre-application for their program of choice, and an alternate through the Center for Global Education’s website. Pre-Applications completed by the December 1 deadline will be reviewed and students will be notified of their nomination by the 3rd week of January.
- Accepted students can then apply for their nominated program. Students are responsible for submitting the host program’s application and required documentation by the program’s deadline. Please note that nomination by USF does not guarantee acceptance by the host program.
Key Criteria for Successful Applications
The Center for Global Education takes a number of things into account when reviewing applications. Among the criteria that are considered, here are a few that stand out:
- Appropriateness of the selected program/country as demonstrated through the essays. Successful essays make the connection between a student’s academic studies at USF and the proposed academic program abroad.
- Academic preparation such as courses taken and the applicant’s transcript. Applicants must meet or exceed all pre-requisites for the proposed program abroad.
- Cumulative GPA (minimum of 3.0)
- Applicants’ disciplinary record at USF will be assessed and considered as part of the review process.
Step-By-Step Instructions on How to Apply