Overview of the campus
People walking on Lone Mountain
Negoesco soccer field at the University of San Francisco     
Golden Gate Bridge at noon  

Declining Balance Card Procedures



Issuance of a Declining Balance Card

Employees and students approved by their Business Manager to receive a declining balance card must complete a Purchasing Card or Declining Balance Card Application for submission to Accounting and Business Services. For group enrollments (e.g., student athletes), an Excel file, including all of the required information, may be provided to Accounting and Business Services instead.

The declining balance card will be issued by Accounting and Business Services within 10 business days of receiving a properly approved application. The card will be issued in the individual’s name, include an expiration date, and will be loaded with the dollar amount authorized by the Business Manager.

Activating a Declining Balance Card

To activate the declining balance card, cardholders must call the J.P. Morgan Chase toll-free number included with the card. The automated activation line will prompt cardholders for the credit card number, the last four digits of their social security number, and their date of birth.

The card may be reloaded, as needed, to fund additional travel and entertainment activities approved by the cardholder’s department. Regular users of the card may be required to attend training on the University’s Travel and Entertainment Policy and Concur Reporting System expense reimbursement procedures conducted by Accounting and Business Services.

Lost or Stolen Cards

If a declining balance card is lost or stolen, the cardholder must immediately contact his or her Business Manager. The Business Manager will notify Accounting and Business Services, which will deactivate the card and issue a new card. Employees are responsible, however, for monitoring any subsequent charges reported in the Concur Reporting System concerning the lost or stolen card and reporting such activity to their Business Manager.


The declining balance card is used like a typical bank card. The cardholder must present the card at the time of purchase and sign the receipt produced by the merchant. The card is intended for use in paying for appropriate charges for business travel and entertainment expenses, such as lodging and meal expenses, conference registration fees, and similar expenses. For additional information, see Travel and Entertainment Policy.

Merchant Category Restrictions

Cardholders may be restricted from purchasing certain items or services (e.g., automotive, furniture, jewelry, etc.). Such restrictions are set by Accounting and Business Services by assigning a group of permitted Merchant Category Codes (MCC) to each cardholder, which are appropriate for University travel and entertainment expenses. Accordingly, certain card purchases may be declined at the point of sale based on the MCC assignment.

Cash Withdrawals

Cardholders may also use the declining balance card to obtain cash at any Visa debit merchant or any bank, credit union, or ATM that accepts Visa. To obtain cash, the cardholder must establish a PIN by accessing the J.P. Morgan Chase website or interactive voice response system.

All cash withdrawals must be used for University business-related expenses.


If a cardholder encounters problems using his or her declining balance card or the card is declined, he or she should contact JP Morgan Chase Customer Service at 1-800-270-7760 x2102 for assistance. Representatives are available 24 hours a day to assist cardholders. If the bank is unable to assist the cardholder in completing a transaction, the individual should contact his or her Business Manager.

Declining Balance Card Changes

Cardholders who need a change made to their declining balance card spending limit or MCC restrictions should ask their Business Manager to approve a Change Request form and submit it to the Purchasing Card Administrator. The form may also be used to request a change in an employee’s name or e-mail address and to make FOAPAL changes. Such changes require 3 business days to complete.


If a declining balance card is not an acceptable form of payment for an expense (e.g., a conference registration fee), the individual must request that his or her department initiate a Payment Request through the Concur Reporting System. A check will be issued by Business Services within 10 business days after it receives the properly approved Payment Request.




Faculty and other employees are required to reconcile their declining balance card charges, including cash withdrawals, in the Concur Reporting System by completing an Expense Report by the first business day of the month following the month in which the trip or event ended. Original receipts for all expenses must be faxed or scanned for submission to the Concur Reporting System before the Expense Report can be submitted.

Any portion of a cash withdrawal that is not used for a business purpose must be refunded to the University when the Expense Report is submitted. In such cases, a check made payable to the University of San Francisco must be sent to the University Cashier. See Travel and Entertainment Policy.

Disputing a Transaction

Each employee issued a declining balance card is responsible for promptly resolving any disputed transactions directly with the merchant. If attempts to resolve the matter with the vendor are unsuccessful, the cardholder should notify Accounting and Business Services regarding the disputed item by sending an e-mail to pcard@usfca.edu. Accounting and Business Services will provide further instructions on the steps necessary to formally dispute the transaction.


Students who are issued a declining balance card for their NCAA meal allotments are not required to reconcile their expenses, maintain receipts, or refund the unspent portion of a cash withdrawal. The Athletics Department, however, is required to reconcile meal allotment disbursements in the Concur Reporting System. 


Employees are required to provide sufficient documentary evidence to support all charges made using the declining balance card. Documentation should be in the form of an original bill or receipt, which includes the date, vendor name and location, description of the goods or services purchased, business purpose, and total dollar amount.

An original receipt is required for all expenses of $50 or more. If an original receipt is lost, and every effort has been made to obtain a copy of the receipt, the employee must complete a Missing Receipt Form, and submit it with the Expense Report as provided above. See Forms.


A violation of any portion of this Policy may result in the suspension or termination of the cardholder’s right to use the declining balance card. Employees may also be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment and/or legal action. In addition, the employee will be personally liable for any declining balance card charges determined not to be for a University business purpose.