We are always looking for more content to display on the signage system. Our team can provide assistance to users in several ways — from creating templates for your content to make updating easy, to simply providing specs or design review services. The first step for any new concept or campaign is to contact us, and let us know what you have in mind. You can use our request form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are the details on what we are looking for, how to request our help, and timeframes for production.
Option 1: Create Your Own Content
We strongly encourage local users to develop their own content. Here are the basics of what we are looking at in your files to ensure that the content looks good and behaves well in this environment.
- Keep text short and simple, you have only a few seconds for your audience to read the content.
- Make sure all fonts are decently sized, generally much bigger than you would normally make them. Font sizes smaller than 14px will not be legible.
- Use a call to action as often as possible — what do you want your audience to do?
- For all events include: time, date, location and sponsoring group. Don't use the university's full street address, building name and room number is all that is necessary.
- The University logo is not necessary on your ad in most cases, as branding is covered by the screen template.
- Refer to our Digital Signage Reference Sheet for more specifics on file size and construction.
Basic Ad File Specs
- Physical Size [ads must be landscape format only]: 1366px wide by 768px high for full screen environments, 950px by 534px for ads in templates with room schedule or sidebar information
- Resolution: 72 dpi
- Color: RGB
- File type: JPEG or PNG
- File size: 400kb maximum
Video is supported on the digital signage. We ask that you please contact us before preparing any video file for viewing on digital signage. We will arrange transfer of the file and give specifics on file preparation at that time. Video displays best on the signage if it follows these guidelines:
- Files should be in MPEG, MPEG4, Quicktime, or H.264 format.
- Keep your film short. It is unlikely to be viewed for more than a couple minutes on signage. Consider an excerpt for longer pieces.
- Film and edit in high resolution, as the signage is a high-definition environment
- Film on signage is generally silent, so caption all video that includes voiceovers or talking-head interviews
- For one-off submissions of ads or video, contact us at email@example.com to arrange a file transfer as most videos are too large to attach to an email. Include any relevant information about the event or contacts in the email.
- If you will be contributing content frequently, we can set you up with an account on our signage Ad Server. From the server you can upload files directly and schedule and target their output. See the Ad Server page for more information.
Option 2: Use Our Web Design Services
Our office also provides design services for creating custom content on the digital signs. Please allow at least two weeks lead time before the ad should begin being displayed. Give us all relevant event details by filling out the Digital Signage Request Form. We will contact you within 2 business days with any questions or for confirmation that your ad or campaign is in our production queue.
- We can help standardize your campaign ad production by creating design files in whatever format works best for you. We use the standard Adobe suite of design product — inDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop files are all available options.
- In appropriate cases, we can create a dynamic database driven template for much more standardized presentations. This is an easy way to make a large number of ads that share a common structure, but have custom text or image elements. If you want to do a number of individual ads that have a common look but individualized content, this may be a very good solution.
Timeframes for Service and Projects
Our office also provides design services for creating custom content on the digital signs. Please allow at least two weeks lead time before the ad should begin being displayed. Give us all relevant event details by filling out the Digital Signage Request Form. We will contact you within 2 business days with any questions, or for confirmation that your ad or campaign is in our production queue.
- Self-produced ad content: submit 2 business days prior to display for review and scheduling.
- Template-based ad series: 3 week turnaround for design and approval.
- Dynamic template based ad series: 3 week turnaround.
- Video (completed) submissions: submit 2 days prior to display for review and scheduling.
- Ad Server account setup: 1 week to allow for account creation, testing and training.