Advocate for Community Engagement Application
You are applying for an Advocate for Community Engagement position at the McCarthy Center for Fall 2014.
Please complete this form and submit by clicking on the "submit" button at the bottom of the page.
Application Deadline: March 5, 2014 (for Academic Year 2014-2015).
How did you hear about this program?
I. Please list courses you are taking or have completed that you think would be relevant to the ACE program. Be sure to list any service-learning courses, completed or in progress.
Please respond to the following questions. Your responses should be no less than a paragraph each.
II. Statement of Purpose
Read the quotes and accompanying questions below, and choose two out of three to which to respond. Statements will be judged according to both content and writing quality. Please copy and paste or type in the box below your statement of purpose. Please proofread.
- "There isn't a student on this campus in any major who could not be an effective force in public decision-making if they bring to the fight a personal commitment to build a more just and humane world." - Leo T. McCarthy
Provide specific examples of how you have demonstrated a commitment to building a more humane and just world. How will the ACE program strengthen your capacity to continue this commitment?
- "You need a set of convictions based on moral values and you need to be introspective every day so you're truthful with yourself about how close you are to sticking to those values." - Leo T. McCarthy
The McCarthy Center's core values that guide our work include: diversity and inclusion, social justice, collaboration and co-determination, humility, innovation, growth and improvement, and invitational dialogue. Choose two of the values from the McCarthy Center's list of core values and discuss why they resonate with you. How will you incorporate them during your ACE experience?
- "If a moral commitment does not drive a person in public office, he or she will waiver and maybe wither in the face of all the forces that may tear him/her apart." - Leo T. McCarthy
In pursuit of social justice, we may be challenged by internal forces such as apathy, fear, and bias, as well as external forces including systemic injustice and bureaucratic red tape. Provide one specific example of both an internal AND an external force that have challenged or threatened your moral commitment to service and describe how you strive to overcome those forces.
Please email your most recent resume to the McCarthy Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Note that your application will not be considered until your resume is received.
Please list two references and provide their contact information. The references can include professors, job supervisors, academic advisors, club advisors, etc. At least one reference should be from USF. We may contact these references as needed.
Please provide your schedule for the fall semester: classes, jobs, activities, etc.
V. Interview Availability
Please list your availability for an interview during traditional business hours (8:45am-5:00pm), March 18-21. If you are called for an interview, we will schedule it within one of the time periods you listed, so please be prepared with those time slots available.
ACEs must be able to commit to:
- meeting your organization supervisor and receiving an introduction to your organization by the end of spring 2014 semester.
- attending the ACE spring training on Saturday, April 26, 2:30-8:00 p.m.
- maintaining 8-10 hours of work per week throughout year of ACE employment (2-3 hours /week participating in service at host site, 4 hours on or off-site coordinating partnership needs, and 2 hours/week preparing and participating in individual or group meetings with the McCarthy Center).
- attending fall retreat and mid-year retreat (details TBD).
- demonstrating professional conduct and responsible representation of USF in all matters.
- making a commitment to all responsibilities as defined in ACE Job Description.
Please read and sign: By signing below you are stating that, if selected as an ACE, you will undertake the full job description and represent USF and the McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good in a professional and responsible manner.
For more information contact Andrea Wise at email@example.com or 415.422.5205.
ATTENTION: Once you hit the "submit" button, a message should appear confirming that your application was submitted successfully. If you do not see this message, please either try to resubmit your application or contact us to make sure we did receive it.E-signature:
Date of Submission: