yellow daffodils
USF Saint Ignatius Church

Frequently Asked Questions


How can I schedule an appointment with my advisor?
To schedule an appointment with your advisor, please contact the Program Assistant of your major. Their contact information can be found by looking in the College Address Book. It is recommended that students meet with their advisor at least once per semester to check in about their courses and have them help in deciding which courses to take the following semester. Please note, advisors are not always available to meet, so make your appointment with them well in advance.

How should I prepare for an appointment with my advisor?
Before an appointment with your advisor, you should prepare a list of questions or topics you wish to discuss. It is mandatory that students look at the schedule of classes and the course catalog before meeting with an advisor to get a sense of what courses they might like to take. It is also advised that students prepare a written list of the courses they wish to take, with alternates also included in case courses become full.

What is an Advising Hold?
An advising hold is a hold that is placed on your record when your advisor wants/needs to see a student. A hold will prevent a student from adding or dropping a course. In order to remove an advising hold, a student must meet with their advisor as soon as possible.


When is the last day I can add or register for a course?
All students must first meet with their advisor to choose their schedule of classes for the following semester. Once you have received a signature from your advisor, you are able to pre-register for courses. When pre-registration is over, you must wait until the late registration period to add/drop courses. The last day to add a course is typically two weeks after classes begin. The last day to drop from a course without a grade of "W" and without the professor's signature is the University Census Date. The last day to drop a course with a "W" is typically 10 weeks after classes begin, for which you will need your professor, advisor, and dean's signature. PLEASE NOTE: DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE, PLEASE SEE THE REGISTRATION CALENDAR FOR CURRENT DATES.

How do I take a Leave of Absence and withdraw from the University?
In order to take a Leave of Absence, you must complete the leave of absence form which can be found here. The Registrar's office takes care of the dropping of classes only up until the last day to withdraw. If it is after the last day to withdraw, you will only be allowed to withdraw if there are extenuating circumstances to your case, and if your professors approve a late drop. If it is before Census date, then your courses are dropped without a "W." If it is after Census Date and before the last date to drop, your courses will have "W."

How do I declare a major/minor?
To declare a major/minor you must pick up the Change of Academic Program form at the Dean's office or from the Registrars. This form needs to be signed by the department of your new major and by the Dean's office, and then turned in to the Registrar's.

What is the Core Curriculum and what are the requirements?
To get an updated list of Core Curriculum requirements, you can download a PDF of the CORE worksheet.

Can I repeat a course? How will it affect my GPA?
The only courses that can be repeated for credit are directed studies, Exercise and Sport Science activities and Special Topics Courses. Any other course may be repeated, however, the repeated units do not count twice, yet the grade you receive in the repeated course will be counted in your GPA.

What is academic probation?
If your GPA drops below a 2.0 in any semester, or you earn less than a 2.0 GPA in your major, you will be placed on academic probation.

What kind of help can I get if I am put on probation?
If you are put on probation, there are numerous resources on campus to help you. One person that you can contact within the College is Sara Solloway, Director, Student Retention and Success Programs, who can be reached at (415) 422-6742 or at

What is Pass/Fail? What can I take with this option?
The pass/fail option cannot be applied during your first semester at USF. This option is not available for Core classes or courses required for the major, minor, or the language requirement. PLEASE NOTE: DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE, PLEASE SEE THE REGISTRATION CALENDAR FOR CURRENT DATES.

What are the foreign language requirements?
If you are earning a B.A. degree, you must complete three semesters of the same language. If you are earning a B.S. degree, you must complete two semesters of the same language.

What do I do if I want to study abroad?
To learn more about our Study Abroad programs, please contact the Center for Global Education, (415) 422-6848.

Will studying abroad affect my schedule for graduating in four years?
Studying abroad will not necessarily affect your graduation, but, as always, please check with your advisor about the programs in which you are interested.

What is the residency requirement (44 unit rule)?
All students must take at least 44 units in residency at USF. Within the 44 units, 16 units must be upper division within the major, and at least half of the units for a minor must be completed at USF.

How many units need to be taken in order to graduate?
All students must complete 128 units in order to fulfill the requirements for graduation.

What is a degree audit? How do I read a degree audit?
A degree audit is an estimation of in-progress or completed coursework for Core and major and/or minor requirements. The degree audit is used to evaluate the coursework that you have completed when you meet with your advisor each semester.

How many units do I need to take to be a full time student? Part-time?
In order to be a full-time student, students must be enrolled in 12-18 units; part-time students are enrolled in 1-11 units.

When do I need to apply for graduation?
When you have reached senior level standing or have completed 90 units of coursework, all students need to apply for graduation through the Graduation Center.