The International and Multicultural Education (IME) Doctoral Program consists of 60 credits.
View IME course descriptions and General Education course descriptions in the School of Education section of USF General Catalog online.
General Education Courses | 12 credits
The General Education (GEDU) curriculum provides students with the foundations needed to pursue graduate-level coursework. More details on each GEDU course may be found on General Education pages.
- GEDU 708 - Research Methods in Education (required for Portfolio) (3)
- GEDU 706 - Applied Educational Statistics (required) (3)
- One Foundations course (view list in General Education) (3)
- One Advanced Research course (view list in General Education) (3)
IME Courses | 24 credits
Second Language Acquisition
Students who choose this concentration must take a minimum of 4 courses from Section A.
- IME 702 - Research in Bilingualism and Bilingual Education (3)
- IME 703 - Applied Linguistics (3)
- IME 710 - Sociology of Language (3)
- IME 711 - Language and Culture (3)
- IME 727 - Pan African Language and Culture (3)
- IME 731 - Research in First and Second Language Acquisition (3)
- IME 739 - Cross-Cultural Literacy (3)
- IME 768 - Discourse, Pragmatics, and Language Teaching (3)
Human Rights Education
Students who choose this concentration must take a minimum of 4 courses from Section B.
- IME 718 - Human Rights Law for Educators (3)
- IME 719 - Gender and Globalization (3)
- IME 720 - Human Rights Education: Pedagogy and Praxis (3)
- IME 740 - Immigration and Forced Displacement (3)
Electives | 12-15 credits
Elective courses may be taken from any department in the School of Education (including IME).
Optional Minor: Students may develop a Minor with a sequence of at least four related courses from another School of Education program approved by the IME advisor and an advisor for the minor.
- IME 704 - International Perspectives on Area Studies Education (3)
- IME 705 - Multiculturalism in a Global World (3)
- IME 712 - Urban Education (3)
- IME 713 - Emotional Intelligence and Cultural Competency (3)
- IME 714 -Multicultural Perspectives in Education (3)
- IME 715 -Education for Inclusion (3)
- IME 716 -Social Movements (3)
- IME 724 - African American Educational History in the United States (3)
- IME 728 - Women of Color in Higher Education (3)
- IME 735 - Latinos and Education (3)
- IME 737 - Critical Pedagogy (3)
- IME 775 - Asian Educational Systems: Implications for Schooling in the United States (3)
- IME 776 - Teaching and Learning Through the Arts (3)
Dissertation Courses | 9-12 credits
- IME 709 - Dissertation Proposal Seminar (3)
- IME 729 - Proposal Development (3)
- IME 790 - Dissertation Proposal Development (1-3)
- IME 791 - Dissertation Research and Writing (1-3)