Course GEDU 603 | Fall, spring and summer semesters of each academic year.
General Education course descriptions in the USF General Catalog online.
Objectives or Outcomes:
- Students will know the uses of, and the differences between, the scientific and interpretive methods of educational research
- Students will be able to apply the terms, concepts, methods, and processes in evaluating and critiquing research reports and journal articles
- Students will produce a plan or proposal for a research investigation in the field of education
- Students will know and evaluate research ethics for scientific and interpretive studies
- Students will be able to apply for IRB approval of their research
- Qualitative and quantitative research traditions
- Structure of a research article
- Research problem
- Literature review and the role of theory
- Research questions
- Quantitative research: Variables, causal argument, and generalizability
- Quantitative research: Designs and descriptive and inferential statistics
- Quantitative research: Criteria for evaluation
- Qualitative research: Process of qualitative research, ethics, and the role of theory
- Qualitative research: Truth value, neutrality, confirmability, transferability, and rigor
- Qualitative research: Approaches and methods
- Qualitative research: Criteria for evaluation
- Components of a research plan and process of research design
- IRBPHS application process
Criteria of Evaluation:
- Develop a research plan
- Evaluation of a quantitative research study reported in a scholarly journal
- Evaluation of a qualitative research study reported in a scholarly journal
- Multiple-choice tests
Possible Course Textbooks:
Bodgen and Bicklen. Qualitative research in education.
Crowl, T.K. (1996). Fundamentals of educational research (2nd ed.). Madison, WI: Brown & Benchmark Publishers.
Mertes, D.M. (1998). Research methods in education and psychology: Integrating diversity with quantitative & qualitative approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Mertes, D.M., and McLaughlin, J. (1995). Research methods in special education. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Vierra, A., Pollock, J., and Golez, F. (1998). Reading educational research (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.
American Psychological Association. (1994). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.