Course GEDU 723 | Every spring semester
Course GEDU 708 | Research Methods in Education
General Education course descriptions in the USF General Catalog online.
Objectives or Outcomes:
- Explore ethnic and linguistic issues in research focusing in particular in the participatory research methodology, inspired by the tenets of Paulo Freire
- Define and/or refine the methodology of their own dissertation
- Acquire experience in the process of dialogic retrospection ó the praxis of dialogue as an emancipatory tool, the creation of a text from dialogue transcripts and the analysis of the generative themes contained in the dialogue
- Principles of participatory research
- Description of the participant's community
- Researcher's entry into the community
- Description of the participant
- Research questions
- Questions to guide the dialogue
- Emancipatory nature on the dialogue
- Generative themes
- Transcriptions and analysis of dialogue
Criteria for Evaluation:
- Individual projects
- Researcher's journal
- Group projects
Possible Course Textbooks:
Kieffer, C. Doing Dialogic retrospection: approaching empowerment through participatory research.
Park, P. What is participatory research? A theoretical and methodological perspective.
Ada, A.F., Beutel, C. and Peterson, C. The educator as researcher: Principles and practice of participatory research.
Ada, A.F., Beutel, C., Gottesman, L., Jue, J., Niepoth, M. and Silva. D. Teaching participatory research as a collective and reflective experience for educational transformation.
Reza, J. Notes on liberation theory. Internalized oppression and improving communication within a diverse group.