Course GEDU 713 | Fall of odd-numbered years.
Course GEDU 706 | Applied Educational Statistics
Course GEDU 708 | Research Methods in Education
General Education course descriptions in the USF General Catalog online.
Objectives or Outcomes:
- Examine the scope of content analysis
- Critique several different content analysis research projects
- Design their own content analysis research project
- Identify the attributes and weaknesses of this approach
The following represents topics to be investigated during this course:
- Content analysis defined; quantitative and qualitative approaches
- Conceptual foundations; inferences
- Creating a coding scheme; unitizing
- Identifying and limiting the data source
- Closed corpus and open corpus
- How representative is the data?
- Data analysis
- Sampling and Recording
- Validity and reliability
Possible Course Textbooks:
Krippendorff, K. (1980). Content analysis. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
Handouts included in the lab packet.