Welcome to SummerWest
The Institute for Catholic Educational Leadership (ICEL) welcomes you to our community that studies, prays, and socializes together in an academic and apostolic environment at the University of San Francisco. This section of our website contains the information that you need to complete prior to your arrival at USF. Please read the entire section.
- New Applicants: Applications for SummerWest are due April 15. Once you have received your acceptance letter, you must register for Summer Courses in person (see section below on Registration for New Students). New applicants must apply to the SummerWest program through our Apply page. Using the Apply Online option is preferred. (Save a tree! USF appreciates a paperless application.)
- New Students: Once accepted into the SummerWest Program, new students must attend new student orientation/advising and will then register in person at the One-Stop Enrollment and Financial Services Office.
New Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration
Session I: Monday, June 17, 11:30 a.m.; Location: School of Education, room ED 119
Session II: Monday, July 8, 11:30 a.m.; Location: School of Education, room ED 119
New students are encouraged to contact the ICEL Office at (415) 422-2874 for questions.
- Continuing Students: Continuing Students must register on-line. If you have forgotten or misplaced your password you can log on to USFconnect for password help or contact the ITS Help Desk (go to their site for more information). Once you have your user name and password, you can log on to register, make payments and check grades.
CONTINUING STUDENTS MUST REGISTER ON-LINE. REGISTRATION BEGINS APRIL 9, 2013 and ENDS JUNE 25, 2013. IF YOU MISS THE REGISTRATION WINDOW YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO REGISTER IN PERSON AT THE ONE STOP OFFICE. Paper registrations will NOT be accepted in the mail.
- Special Student Status: Special Student Status (SSS) applications are for those who are "visiting" to take courses for credit. Special Student Status applicants may enroll in CEL courses (no General Education or CEL Proposal and Dissertation courses). Limit: 2 courses per semester; maximum 12 units total. Please click here for a Special Student Status Application form and the additional required Add/Drop Form.
Please contact the ICEL Office at (415) 422-2874 for more information.
- Non-Matriculating Students (Professional Development/Non-credit): Please print and fill out the Non-Matriculating Registration Form for your enrollment as a non-matriculating student in courses for SummerWest. Please note that you are eligible to register only for elective workshops listed on the form.
You will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of your registration form and check, as well as details of the series and/or workshop. Please contact the ICEL Office at (415) 422-2874 for more information.
Tuition for SummerWest is:
- $540 per credit for the Master's Program
- $595 per credit for the Doctoral Program and
- $100 per credit for Non-Matriculating (Professional Development/Non-Credit) tuition.
(Effective Summer 2013)
SUMMER HOUSING ON CAMPUS
Housing is available on-campus from June 16th (Saturday) through July 29th (Sunday) in Loyola Village Apartments. This reservation cannot be done online. Do not use the Office of Student Housing and Residential Education website. ICEL SummerWest Students must use the ICEL Housing Request Form. We regret to inform you that Summer Guest Housing is unable to accommodate non-matriculating students. (Non-Matriculating Students are ineligible for summer housing.)
Please send the ICEL Housing Request Form and a separate check made payable to USF to the ICEL Office to the attention of Emily Johnson by May 3. Confirmation e-mails will be sent as soon as your form and payment are received.
Check-in/Check-out times are 12:00 noon at Loyola Village. To arrive early or depart late could result in additional charges. A change in reservation or a cancellation must be made in writing and will not be accepted over the phone.
A $50 cancellation charge will be assessed on all cancellations. Cancellations after May 31st will be charged a pro-rated daily amount, in addition to the $50 cancellation fee. Clean linens are provided by the University, including one set of sheets, one towel, one pillow. Laundry facilities are located within the building. Students will need to provide other amenities (i.e., coat hangers, toiletries, cooking supplies, etc). All questions about housing will need to be directed to the ICEL Office Assistant who can be reached at (415) 422-2874.
Meal plan cards: Due to the "no refund" policy set forth by USF Campus Dining Services (if you pay for a meal plan, a refund will not be issued for the funds not used), we no longer recommend a "meal plan." Instead, students wishing to use on-campus dining services may add any amount to their One Card account (ie, Dons Dollars). These funds may be used at all campus dining locations, as well as photocopiers and the campus bookstore. To use this option, upon arrival, you may add funds to your One Card account at the One Card office (Lone Mountain 130).
PLANNING FOR SAN FRANCISCO
Weather in San Francisco is cool and foggy, particularly during June and July. You will definitely want to bring some warm clothes, such as sweaters, sweatshirts, and a jacket. Some days start off cold, but once the fog clears, they are somewhat warmer. Bring walking shoes, too, to negotiate the beautiful San Francisco hills.
Please click here for a map and directions to USF.
SUMMERWEST CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Please see the SummerWest Calendar for a schedule of liturgies and social gatherings. All are welcome and encouraged to attend ICEL events.
ICEL AS A COMMUNITY
ICEL is a community of educational scholars committed to the Catholic schools by reason of their relationship with the People of God. ICEL is a community that studies, prays, and socializes together. It is a community that gives service. All four components are important. We, therefore, urge all of our students, both those in residence at the University and those living in the Bay Area, to set aside time each week to celebrate liturgy (with socials to follow) together and to enjoy one another's company in our community festivities. Our liturgies and socials are an essential part of ICEL. In addition, your fellow students desire and deserve your presence at their graduation from the program.
If you have questions please call the ICEL Office Assistant at (415) 422-2874.