Casa Bayanihan students live in an intentional community of student peers from
different universities around the US. We aim to create a supportive and loving environment
in which students can explore ideas like vocation, justice and the reality and culture
of the Philippines.
Some aspects of community life include simple living, developing
relationships within the community through community nights and outings, and co-creating
a space in which all members are able to be authentic.
Casa Bayanihan provides student housing and a unique experience of living in community:
- The two student houses, Bahay Alingal and Bahay Dagani, are located in the vibrant Filipino neighborhood of Barangka, Marikina City
- Both houses are within short walking distance of Ateneo de Manila University, where students will attend classes
- Each house also has a Community Coordinator (CC), or a recent college graduate and alumnus of Casa Bayanihan who lives with the students and helps facilitate community life.
The Casa Bayanihan community also includes our sister program of Filipino scholarship students, Bahay Kapwa (House of Shared Identity), who are peers and friends to Casa Bayanihan students during their time in the Philippines. We collaborate through:
- Group outings to explore culture, food, and the natural beauty of the Philippines
- Visits to the homes of Bahay Kapwa students to meet their families
- Weekly shared dinners
- Occasional shared Spirituality Nights