"President-elect Fitzgerald’s strong academic credentials, clear understanding of USF’s Jesuit mission, and proven leadership stood out among an exceptional pool of applicants."
Charles H. Smith
Chair, Presidential Search Committee
quotes from the Presidential Search Committee »
After an extensive national search, the University of San Francisco’s Board of Trustees is excited to introduce Paul J. Fitzgerald, S.J. as the 28th president-elect. The unanimous vote ushers in a promising new era of Jesuit leadership for the university.
Fr. Fitzgerald’s outstanding qualifications – sterling academic experience, broad global perspective, and strong ties to the Bay Area – make him uniquely suited to prepare the next generation of USF students to change the world from here.
Fr. Fitzgerald will take office on August 1, 2014. He succeeds Stephen A. Privett, S.J., who will help ensure a smooth transition by staying in office until Fr. Fitzgerald is settled in San Francisco. “I am deeply, deeply impressed with the academic and physical improvements achieved under Fr. Privett,” said Fr. Fitzgerald. “Most importantly, I don’t know another Jesuit university that is more mission-focused than USF, thanks to his leadership.”
about Fr. Fitzgerald
- Will be USF's 28th President
- Grew up in Los Gatos, California
- Last placement was Senior VP for Academic Affairs at Fairfield University
- Ordained at St. Ignatius Church on USF’s campus
- Fluent in German and French; conversational in Spanish
About the Search
- National search conducted over an eight-month period
- Received input from hundreds of members of the USF community
- Contacted over 300 candidates and experts