USF student studying against tree
Students eating
White flowers on LM
USF students in front of the library
USF Students with Laptop

FAQ for Student

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who is eligible for employment?

    Any USF student enrolled full-time in a degree-granting program.
  2. What types of employment are available?

    Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is funded in part by the U.S. Department of Education. Campus Job Opportunity (CJOB) is funded by the hiring department. Regular Student Employment is also funded by the hiring department. There is no differential pay rate, hours, or benefits.

    Although earned income under all three programs is reported as income along with other income from work in the tax section of the FAFSA, FWS earnings and CJOB earnings can also be listed as a deduction from earnings that affect financial aid on Worksheet C of the FAFSA when applying for financial aid the following year.
  3. What is a Work-Study Award?

    A FWS award is a federally funded Student Financial Aid Program that enables you to earn money while pursuing your education. The FWS program was designed to provide you an opportunity to gain work experience while helping you offset your cost of education. Currently, the FWS program pays 70% of your salary and the on campus employer pays the remaining 30% up to the amount that you have been awarded.

    In order to participate in the FWS program, you must apply for financial aid through the Financial Aid Office and demonstrate financial need. Remember that you cannot receive FWS without applying for financial aid. If you have been awarded a FWS award, you can use your award to work on campus or with an approved public agency or private non-profit organization. If you opt to use your award off campus, your employer pays 50% and federal pays the other 50% of the salary you receive, up to the total amount you have been awarded.

    Although earned income under this program is reported as income along with other income from work in the tax section of the FAFSA, it can also be listed as a deduction from earnings that affect financial aidon Worksheet C of the FAFSA.

    Please note that a FWS award is different from a CJOB award in that FWS is a federal aid program and a portion on your earnings both on or off campus is subsidized by the federal government and CJOB is not. CJOB program offers recipients an opportunity to seek employment on campus only, and the University (employing department) pays 100% of salaries earned under the program.

  4. What is a Campus Job Opportunity Award (previously USFWorks)?

    Campus Job Opportunity (CJOB) is awarded to students with unmet need to earn money by taking on an on campus job. It was designed to provide job experience while helping you offset the cost of your education. What you earn under the CJOB program is paid 100% by the employing USF department. In order to participate in the CJOB program, you must apply for financial aid through the Financial Aid Office and demonstrate financial need. You cannot receive the CJOB award without applying for financial aid. If you have been awarded a CJOB, you can seek a job on campus.

    Although earned income under this program is reported as income along with other income from work in the tax section of the FAFSA, it can also be listed as a deduction from earnings that affect financial aid in the Worksheet C of the FAFSA when applying for financial aid for the following year.

    Please note that a CJOB award is different from a Work-Study award in that Work-Study receives a federal subsidy and CJOB does not. CJOB program offers recipients an opportunity to seek employment on campus, and the University (employing department) pays 100% of salaries earned under the program.
  5. What types of jobs are available?

    All full-time students enrolled full-time in a degree granting program can seek employment on campus. On campus jobs are available through the various University administrative offices such as Admissions, Financial Aid, the University Registrar, and facilities such as the Libraries, Recreational Sports, Food Service, Residence Halls, and University Business offices.

    Auxiliaries of ASUSF which include Crossroads Coffee Houses, Graphics Center, and Convenience Store, offer numerous employment opportunities to USF students.

    Off campus jobs are available to Federal Work-Study recipients only and can be either in the private non profit or public agency sectors with a current and active contract with the University. Examples of Federal Work-Study off campus agencies include various middle schools participating in the University's America Reads Program, National Farm Workers Service Center, Jamestown Community Center, San Francisco Day School, New Global Citizens, Hispanic Scholarship Fund, The Curriculum Initiative, CollegeTrack and ACLU of Northern America. Click here if you are interested in setting up your own off campus Federal Work-Study position.
  6. How do I go about finding employment?

    On campus departments and off campus employers list their openings on the Student Employment website as they become available. It is updated on a regular basis as employers fill open positions. The following is an outline of the steps necessary to find employment:
    1. View the On-Campus job board
    2. View the Off-Campus job board (Federal Work Study recipients only)
    3. Call and arrange an interview appointment
    4. Visit One Stop locatedat LM 251, complete an I-9 Form. You will be given a Work Clearance Form in return.
    5. Take the Work Clearance Form with you to the interview. If you are offered a position, give the form to your Supervisor. If you are a Federal Work Study student, your Supervisor will sign and return the Work Clearance Form to One Stop for additional processing.
    6. If you are not offered the position, keep the Work Clearance form for the next interview, but remember that it expires within 60 days or by the end of the semester which ever duration is less.
    7. Don't Give Up... There Are Lots of Jobs!

    We also recommend that you contact departments that are of interest to you for other job possibilities. This especially applies to research and teaching assistant positions and other areas that require specialized education, training, or work experience.

  7. Can I work for an agency of my choice?

    Before you make a commitment to an agency, you must consult the Student Employment office to make sure the position and agency you have in mind meets the Work-Study program eligibility requirement. In addition, the employment agency must complete an application and Work-Study agreement with USF. Employment cannot begin under any circumstances until the position and agency has been approved by the Student Employment Office. Information on how to set up a Work-Study position may be obtained at the Student Employment Office, located at Lone Mountain 251, or call (415) 422-6770.
  8. What is a Work Clearance Form?

    In order to interview and be hired for a Student Employee position, you must obtain a Work Clearance Form at One Stop, located in LM 251. You will be asked to complete an USCIS Form I-9 and provide acceptable documentation. The Work Clearance Form verifies your eligibility for employment. If you are a recipient of Federal Work Study or Campus Job Opportunity, it also verifies the maximum amount you can earn through the program.

    Because your enrollment status and financial aid award will change every year, you will need to obtain a work clearance every year or every time you apply or get re-hired.
  9. What is a I-9 Form?

    The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services I-9 Form is a standard HR form. It is a legal document which verifies your identity and employment eligibility. You are required to complete the I-9 Form only once during your employment at USF. In order to complete an I-9 Form, you must present the following documents:

    If you are a U.S. Citizen, you can present:
    a.) Driver's License and a Social Security Card, or
    b.) Driver's License and Birth Certificate, or
    c.) U.S. Passport

    If you are a U.S. Permanent resident, you can present:
    a.) Alien Registration Card

    If you are an International Student, you can present:
    a.) Foreign Passport with attached I-94 Departure record. If your passport or I-94 has expired, you will need to re-submit an I9 and show documents with new expiration date(s).

    If you are an international student, you will need to apply for a social security card as soon as you have obtained a job so that your earnings from your job(s)can be reported to the Internal Revenue Service using the social security number that appears on your social security card. Click here for information on applying for a social security card.
  10. What are my responsibilities as a student employee?

    Accepting a position involves a commitment. A student employee's primary role is that of a student, but you have certain responsibilities and obligations to your employer. You are a member of a working unit that depends on you. You should:
    • Report to work promptly
    • Notify your supervisor as soon as possible when you will be late or unable to work
    • Refrain from conducting personal business on the job
    • Report accurately the hours you have worked
    • Perform your task to the best of you ability
    • Dress appropriately for your job location
    • Take your job seriously

    Student employment is more than merely earning money to offset your educational expense. The work experience you gain can be invaluable.
  11. How many hours can I work per week?

    On the average, most students work between 12-20 hours per week. USF student employment policy limits a maximum of:

    25 hours per week for undergraduates and
    25 hours per week for graduate and law students

    while classes are in session or no more than 35 hours per week during break periods.
  12. How am I paid?

    Once you are officially hired, your hiring supervisor will use the information on your Work Clearance Form to submit a Personnel Action Form (PAF or e-PAF) authorizing Student Employment and Human Resources to add you to the payroll. If you are a work-study recipient, your hiring supervisor will also submit a signed Work Clearance Form. You must complete a time sheet twice a month. Time sheets cover a semi-monthly period, from the 6th through the 20th of the month, and the 21st through the 5th of the following month. Time sheets must be completed and submitted in accordance with the semi-monthly Payroll Calendar.
  13. When am I paid?

    You are paid semi-monthly. Pay days are normally on the 1st and 15th of the month. Should the pay day fall on a Saturday, you will be paid the previous Friday. Should the pay day fall on a Sunday, you will be paid the following Monday.
  14. Who determines my pay?

    The Student Employment office establishes wage guidelines for hiring departments based on the duties and qualifications. The department uses these guidelines to determine where the position fits within the student salary schedule. Generally, positions which require more technical and specialized skills, or which require specific work experience, or greater levels of responsibility are compensated at higher rates of pay. At present, San Francisco minimum wage is $10.74 per hour.
  15. Are taxes withheld from my earnings?

    Generally speaking, YES. Exceptions to this are those students who are eligible to claim exemption from Federal Income Tax because they are self supporting. If someone else such as your parent or guardian claims you as a dependent on their income tax you cannot claim the exempt status and income tax will be withheld.
  16. 16. Can I have more than one job?

    Yes for non-work study. You may only have one federal work study job,but it is recommended that you find one job that meets your need. You can only work a maximum of 25 hours per week if you are an undergraduate or 25 hours per week if you are a graduate or law student. Employers prefer at least a 2-3 hour block of work time since productivity increases in larger time slots.
  17. Is there a guarantee of employment?

    No, there is no guarantee of employment.Continued employment is contingent upon many factors, such as departmental budget constraints, satisfactory performance, etc. If the hiring supervisor decides that the student's performance is not satisfactory, the student may be released from employment.
  18. Can I receive paid sick leave?

    Yes, eligible students can receive paid sick leave. A new San Francisco Paid Sick Leave Ordinance went into effect on February 5, 2007 allowing student employees to accrue 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked, up to 72 hours. This will affect students hired before and after February 5, 2007 differently. For student employees working on or before February 5, 2007, sick leave accrual begins on that day. For student employees hired on or after February 5, 2007, paid sick leave begins to accrue 90 calendar days after the student employee’s first day of work. Eligible sick leave should be reported on paper time sheet and approved by supervisors.
  19. Doctors' notes

    Supervisors cannot require a doctor's note when workers take three or fewer consecutive days of paid leave. They can require a doctor's note if an employee misses more than three days, takes time off for a medical appointment or shows a pattern of abusing sick time.
  20. Breaks in service

    Student employees start accruing sick leave after 90 days of service. If a student employee is terminated or resigns before 90 days but then is rehired within a year, the first stint is counted toward the 90-day threshold. Student employees who are terminated or resign after starting to accrue sick leave and are rehired within one year do not have to go through the 90-day waiting period again. However, the University is not required to reinstate previously accrued sick time.
  21. What's in the law
    • Employers must provide paid sick leave for part-time employees including all student employees.
    • Employees begin to accrue sick leave after 90 days of work.
    • Employees accrue one hour of paid leave for every 30 hours they work, up to 72 hours.
    • Employees may use paid leave for their own medical needs, and to care for family members.
    • Employees with no spouse or partner may use the leave to care for a "designated person".
  22. Other Resources

    SF Chronicle
  23. What if I have a problem with a supervisor?

    If you and the supervisor are having difficulties, consult the Student Employment office. Student Employment office provides assistance in all stages of the student employment process and is here to support student employees and supervisors alike.
  24. What if I want to quit?

    Individual hiring supervisors may expect varying commitments from a student employee to work through the academic year. Student employees and supervisors may determine a specific work schedule upon hire, not to exceed the student's employment eligibility period. If changes in class schedule, academic pressures, or volume of work in the department makes a work commitment impossible, and you feel that it is necessary to terminate the employment, please speak to your supervisor and provide a two week notice and reason for the termination.
  25. Is my job performance evaluated?

    Yes, before the end of the spring semester, all supervisors are asked to complete a performance evaluation for each of their student employees. The Performance Evaluation is not only used to evaluate your work, but it is also used to determine eligibility to be rehired.