Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Considering studying abroad? Read up on the differences between USF-sponsored and external study abroad programs and how your financial aid may be affected.

USF Sponsored Programs

If you are enrolled in a sponsored program, you’ll pay the normal tuition rate for USF credit, in which courses and credits will appear directly on your USF official transcript. As a result, all USF financial aid such as USF grants and scholarships, and federal and state aid (except Federal Work Study) automatically apply to your term abroad.

  • You are required to be enrolled full-time (minimum 12 units) while studying abroad. Falling below full-time enrollment can negatively affect government financial aid.
  • Spring semester students must remember to take care of USF Financial Aid renewals for the next academic year.
  • Remember to apply for financial aid via the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 2 for the next academic year.
  • Consider meeting with a One Stop Financial Aid Counselor before you leave to discuss financial aid matters while abroad.
  • You are not required to complete a leave of absence form since you’re technically still enrolled as a USF student.

External Programs

If you are enrolled in an external program, you’ll pay that program’s tuition and fees directly to the third-party provider (e.g., AIFS, IES, Semester at Sea, New York University, CIEE etc.) Tuition and fees will vary by program.

  • You must complete a leave of absence form for the semester(s) you will be studying abroad. You are not enrolled as a USF student and are not eligible for USF financial aid during this time.
  • If you receive Federal and/or State financial aid (Cal Grant, Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, etc.) from USF, you should see a financial aid counselor to reserve a Cal grant for your first semester back, or to put Federal loans into deferment or forbearance (keeping loans in a non-payment status while you are on leave).