First time borrowers of the Federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans are only required to complete ONE loan entrance counseling workshop for both loans, even if you see two requirements for the same workshop in the Financial Aid section of Student Self-service in USFConnect. When you complete one workshop, it will fulfill the requirement for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans.
First time borrowers of the Federal Direct Grad PLUS loan will be required to complete a Loan Entrance Counseling Workshop for this loan in addition to one for the Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Borrowers may choose to complete a PLUS-specific entrance workshop, or a combo Stafford/PLUS entrance workshop. Both alternatives are available at the site listed below.
Loan Entrance Counseling Instructions
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Borrowers
By clicking on the web address listed below, you will be directed to the Federal Student Loans web site. Entrance Counseling sessions may take up to 20 minutes. Test results will be sent electronically to the USF Financial Aid Operations Office. Students may want to print the following instructions before proceeding.
Complete the workshop online by following these instructions:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Click on the "Sign In" icon which is located under "Manage My Direct Loan".
- Enter the required social security number of the borrower, first two characters of last name, date of birth, and PIN.
- Click on the link " Complete Entrance Counseling".
- You will be asked to identify yourself as an undergraduate or a graduate/professional student. This will help you complete the appropriate entrance counseling session. Graduate/professional students will fulfill the requirement for subsidized/unsubsidized loans as well as the Grad PLUS loan even if they have not applied for a Grad PLUS loan.