First time borrowers of Federal Stafford Direct loans are required to complete a loan entrance counseling workshop. Federal Direct Grad PLUS loan borrowers may choose to complete a PLUS-specific workshop or a combination Stafford/PLUS workshop. Both options are available through StudentLoans.gov.
Loan Entrance Counseling Instructions
- Go to www.studentloans.gov.
- Click the "Sign In" icon, located under "Manage My Direct Loan."
- Enter the borrower's social security number, first two characters of their last name, date of birth, and PIN.
- Click "Complete Entrance Counseling."
- You will be asked to identify yourself as an undergraduate or a graduate/professional student. Graduate/professional students will fulfill the requirement for subsidized/unsubsidized loans as well as the Grad PLUS loan, even if they have not applied for a Grad PLUS loan.
Entrance counseling sessions may take up to 30 minutes. Test results will be sent electronically to the USF Financial Aid Operations Office.