Master of Science in Behavioral Health (MSBH) students have the opportunity to gain meaningful real-world practice in some of the Bay Area’s leading community-based and behavioral health agencies.
The MSBH program has developed partnerships with agencies in the Bay Area. However, those already working in the field may have the option to complete their fieldwork at their place of employment. MSBH faculty will work with students to assess which type of fieldwork placement is best.
In place of a research-based thesis, our students produce an original graduate capstone paper based on their classroom learning and fieldwork to demonstrate mastery of the profession.
In preparation for the fieldwork internship, our MSBH program offers:
- A fieldwork orientation during the first semester
- On-going events and seminars with local experts in public and behavioral health
- Assistance with writing résumés and cover letters
- Linkages and partnerships with agencies to develop community service and fieldwork opportunities
- A database of potential fieldwork sites
- Opportunities for learning health education skills such as motivational interviewing which can be practiced in the fieldwork placement
- Supervision from a faculty fieldwork instructor who provides personalized mentoring
- A series of fieldwork courses (Foundational Skills for Behavioral Health Practice, Fieldwork I, Fieldwork II) and a Capstone seminar
Recent Fieldwork Placements and Projects
Placement Site: UC San Francisco Primary Care Clinic
Project Name: Introducing Developmental Coping Strategies to Pediatric Primary Care: A Child Life Perspective
Placement Site: University of San Francisco
Project Name: Behavioral Health Inter-professional Education Simulation
Placement Site: Rubicon Programs
Project Name: Using behavioral health screening and interventions to improve training and support for the chronically under or unemployed
Placement Site: LIFT – Levantate
Project Focus: Evaluation of a pilot project promoting exercise in youth
Placement Site: Bill Wilson Center
Project Focus: Needs assessment for the development of an employee wellness program
Placement Site: In-Home Supportive Services, San Francisco Authority
Project Focus: Needs assessment to develop support services for in-home care providers
Placement Site: University of the Pacific, Dugoni School of Dentistry
Project Focus: Development of simulation exercises to teach dental students how to communicate with patients with special needs or health challenges
Take a glimpse into our recent MSBH Poster Presentation and Graduation Event where students showcase their master's project which is the culminating work from the program based on the work done in the fieldwork experience.
Ellen Sereno, MSBH Cohort 2
Winter Public Health Day Presenters
MSBH students on the Fall 2014 Graduation and Poster Presentation
A student presents her master's project based on work in her fieldwork experiences.
Program Director, Dr. Kathy Raffel, greets Poster Presentation and Graduation day guests.
A student presents her master's project based on her work in her fieldwork experiences.
Congratulations MSBH Cohort 1. Time to celebrate!