Master of Science in Behavioral Health (MSBH) students have the opportunity to gain meaningful real-world practice in some of the Bay Area’s leading behavioral health agencies.
In place of a research-based thesis, our students produce an original graduate fieldwork project based on their classroom learning and fieldwork which demonstrates mastery of the profession. The MSBH program has developed partnerships with agencies in the Bay Area, however, those already working in the field may have the option to complete their fieldwork as part of their current job. MSBH faculty will work with students to assess which type of fieldwork placement is best.
In preparation for the fieldwork internship, our MSBH program offers:
- Fieldwork orientation at the beginning of the program
This is a full-time, one-year intensive program. Classes meet in the evenings beginning around 5pm. Contact us
for more information about the unique blended format of the MSBH program.
- On-going events and seminars
- Colloquia with local leaders and experts from around the world
- Resume-building and cover letter workshop
- On-site and online fieldwork database
- Opportunities for meaningful, hands-on work
- Linkages and partnerships with agencies to develop community service and fieldwork opportunities
- Support provided during one-on-one practice advising sessions with internship supervisors
- Series of fieldwork courses (Foundational Skills for Behavioral Health Practice, Fieldwork I, Fieldwork II)
USF MSBH On-Going Partnerships in the Bay Area Community
- BAART Programs
- San Francisco Department of Public Health, Quality Assurance
This placement will focus on a project relating to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, under the guidance of Lisa Golden, M.D. The focus will be on community-oriented primary care in 16 health centers around San Francisco. Some examples of potential projects include, improving staff experiences, patient experiences, and staff communication.
- San Francisco Department of Public Health, Family Planning
This placement will focus on health promotion and developing a social media health education campaign for contraceptives.
- University of San Francisco, Integrated health clinic needs assessment
- University of San Francisco: Research and develop application for American Heart Association
- WellSpace Health
Cohort 1 Fieldwork Projects
When: December 3, 2014 from 10:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Where: Fromm Hall Berman and Broad Conference Rooms
Take a glimpse into our recent MSBH Poster Presentation and Graduation Event where students showcase their master's project which is the culminating work from the program based on the work done in the fieldwork experience.
These events are open to the public and prospective students are encouraged to attend.
MSBH students on the Fall 2014 Graduation and Poster Presentation
A student presents her master's project based on work in her fieldwork experiences.
Program Director, Dr. Kathy Raffel, greets Poster Presentation and Graduation day guests.
A student presents her master's project based on her work in her fieldwork experiences.
Congratulations MSBH Cohort 1. Time to celebrate!