There are three ways to export references from the library catalog into RefWorks: Direct Export from DonCore, Direct Export from Fusion, and using the import feature in RefWorks.
Direct Export from DonCore
Direct export allows you to export a record directly from DonCore into your RefWorks account.
- Search DonCore, the library's catalog, at http://doncore.usfca.edu/
- Click on the "Export to RefWorks" link under each item. Or, in the full record for the item, click on "Export to RefWorks" on the left side of the screen.
- The RefWorks log-in screen will appear. Log into your RefWorks account. Your record should import automatically.
You will need to enter USF's group code to use the direct export steps above. Our group code is RWUSanFrancisco.
Direct Export from Fusion
- Search Fusion.
- Click on the "Add to folder" icon for each of the results you want to save.
- Click on the Folder icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Re-select the references to export.
- Click on the Export icon.
- Click the radio button in front of Direct Export to RefWorks to initiate a direct export.
- Click the Save button to begin the direct export.
- Your records should appear in the Last Imported Folder.
Import Catalog Records using Ignacio, the Classic Catalog
If you wish to import more than one record at a time, you can save and download references as a text file and import them into RefWorks using an import filter.
- Search Ignacio, the classic catalog, at http://ignacio.usfca.edu/
- Mark the citations you want to save by selecting "Add to Book Bag" to the left of each item. Or, in the full record for the item, click "Save Record" at the top.
- Click on "View Saved" at the top of the search screen to view your marked records.
- Re-select the records you wish to export.
- Under "Format of Lists," select "Full Display." Under "Send List To," select "Local Disk."
- Save the file (.txt) to your computer.
- Log into RefWorks and select References/Import.
- For Import Filter/Data Source, select "University of San Francisco"
- For Database, select "USF Library Catalog."
- Under "Import Data from the following Text File", browse and locate the saved text file.
- Select "Import." The records should be imported into your "Last Imported" folder.