Hi! Did you know your browser is outdated? For a more robust web experience we recommend using Safari, Firefox, Chrome or Opera.
theis_thumbnail
Alumna Elected to Illinois Supreme CourtStory
supreme_ct_session_thumb
Supreme Court to Hold Session at USFStory
Vargasm_thumb
Vargas Publishes Building Better BeingsStory
Shapiro-McClain_thumb
IP Externship Provides Skills Training and MentorshipStory
Jeanine_Cotter_thumb
USF Alumna is a National Leader on SolarStory
Talbot-Hewitt_thumb
Clinics Provide Interdisciplinary Services to Start-Ups and Trademark Law Experience to StudentsStory
After_Actavis_panel_thumb2
Antitrust Conference at USF Examines the Future of Reverse Payment LitigationStory
Job-Shadow-thumb
Job Shadow Program Opens Doors to Professional OpportunitiesStory
Bill Monning_thumb
California Senate Majority Leader is USF Law AlumnusStory

Student Employment

The university participates in the Federal Work Study Program funded in part by the U.S. Department of Education.

The university also offers regular non-work study employment funded directly from the department for which students are employed. There is no differential of pay rate, hours, or benefits between work study and non-work study.

Work Study Application

All full-time law students must complete a work statement declaration indicating their understanding that they cannot work more than 20 hours per week as directed by the American Bar Association. Declaration forms are available through the law school's registrar office and are sent to all law students beginning their second year.

Federal Work Study is a federally funded need-based program. Federal Work Study funds are not available to first year students. Due to limited Federal Work Study funds, continuing law students who wish to be considered for Federal Work Study funds must submit a FAFSA application by March 2 and indicate interest in such funds on the FAFSA application. Law students who submit a FAFSA application after this date will not be considered for any Federal Work Study funds. The maximum amount of work study awarded each academic year is $4,000.

Federal Work Study funds can be used in either on-campus employment or off-campus employment. Off-campus employers must be a public agency or private nonprofit agency approved by the university and must have a work study contract with the university. A list of university approved agencies is available through the law school's Office of Financial Aid or the USF Student Employment Office at Lone Mountain campus, room 251.

Law students can also submit a request to have an off-campus public agency or private nonprofit agency approved for the Federal Work Study program if they are not currently on the university approved list. Please contact the law school's financial aid office or the USF Student Employment Office for more information.

The Federal Work Study funds for on-campus employment pay 70 percent of the student salary and the employer pays the remaining 30 percent. The Federal Work Study funds for off-campus employment pay 50 percent of the student salary and the employer pays the remaining 50 percent. The first day of the fall or spring academic term is the first day students can expect to be paid using Federal Work Study funds.

Federal Work Study is available only for the fall and spring semesters.

IMPORTANT: Continuing law students who are offered this aid and do not "accept" this aid by the first day of fall semester classes, will have this aid automatically cancelled by the USF One Stop Student Financial Aid Office.

Summer Federal Work Study funding is determined annually by the university in early April prior to the summer session and is not guaranteed. If Summer Federal Work Study funding is available, employment is available only through university approved off-campus agencies and is typically available beginning July 1. Law students should be aware that Federal Work Study funds will not pay for any summer hours worked prior to July 1 even if it is at an approved agency.

Information on Federal Work Study and employment requirements can be found at the USF Student Employment web site.