SCHEDULE OF PANELS
8:00-9:00 a.m. Registration and continental breakfast
9:00-9:30 a.m. Welcome: David Franklyn, USF School of Law, and Russell Pangborn, Microsoft Corp.
9:30-9:45 a.m. Jeffrey Bewkes, Chairman and CEO, Time Warner Inc.
9:45-11:00 Social Networking: Friend or Foe to Brand Owners
This panel will address social media’s advantages and challenges to brand owners; the liability of social media companies for facilitating trademark infringement; notice and takedown procedures; and debates on the scope of trademark protection in this context.
Moderator: Kristina Rosette, Special Counsel, Covington & Burling LLP
- Stacey King, Senior Digital and IP Counsel, Richemont
- Mei-lan Stark, SVP, Fox Entertainment Group, and Vice President, INTA
- Tamara Reznik, Senior Corporate Counsel, Expedia
11:15-12:15 ICANN’s gTLD Program: Refocusing Your Approach
This panel will address what the landscape for gTLD's looks like in 2012 and what factors brand owners should consider if they are going to use their brand name as part of a new gTLD.
Moderator: Russell Pangborn, Associate General Counsel for Trademarks, Microsoft Corp.
- Fabricio Vayra, Assistant General Counsel for Intellectual Property, Time Warner, Inc.
- Nick Wood, Managing Director, Com Laude
- David Taylor, Partner, Hogan Lovells
- Mark Partridge, Founding Partner, Partridge IP Law
12:15-1:15 Luncheon Keynote: J. Thomas McCarthy, Senior Professor and Founding Director, USF School of Law McCarthy Institute
for Intellectual Property and Technology Law, "The Flavors of Trademark Functionality"
1:15-2:30 The Role and Responsibilities of Intermediaries and Rights Holders
This panel will address the debate over whether we need a DMCA-style safe harbor for trademark infringement for internet providers.
Moderator: William Rava
, Partner, Perkins Coie
- David Bernstein, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Martin Schwimmer, Partner, Leason Ellis LLP
- Peter Becker, Senior Attorney, IP and Licensing, Microsoft Corp.
- Bradley Silver, Assistant General Counsel for Intellectual Property, Time Warner, Inc.
2:35-3:50 Government and Quasi-Government Efforts to Protect IP
This panel will address aspects of proposed anti-counterfeit legislation, including potential conflicts between the interests of brand owners in preventing online counterfeiting and the interests of online intermediaries in facilitating the free flow of information.
Moderator: Darren Cahr, Partner, Drinker Biddle
- Susan Freiwald, Professor of Law, University of San Francisco
- Steve Crocker, CEO and Co-Founder, Shinkuro, Inc. and Chairman, ICANN
- Justin Hughes, Professor, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Yeshiva University. Senior Advisor to the Undersecretary of Commerce, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Department of Commerce
- David Franklyn, Professor and Director, USF School of Law McCarthy Institute for Intellectual Property and Technology Law
4:00-4:45 Closing Keynote: Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, “Building and Maintaining a Brand Franchise: The Magic behind Harry Potter”
*** Program followed by hosted on-site cocktail party ***