Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I apply for Graduation and Commencement?
Students initiate the graduation process by completing the online Graduation Petition.
2. When will I get notified that I am eligible to attend Commencement?
Expected graduates will receive a Degree Evaluation confirming their date of Graduation. Those candidates who are on track with degree requirements and who have completed their Graduation Petition will receive emails (to your USF email account) in the spring to invite you to the Grad Finale event and the School of Law Commencement Ceremony.
3. How do I obtain my regalia and guest tickets?
During the Grad Finale you will be able to pick up your regalia and guest tickets. For detailed information please click on “Regalia and Guest Tickets” under the Commencement Information section of the law school’s website.
4. Can someone pick up my regalia and guest tickets for me?
Yes, you must give that person written authorization with your full name, USF ID#, height, degree (JD or LLM) and your signature; then he or she can pick up your regalia and guest tickets for you. A photo ID will be required for all regalia pick-up.
5. Will there be a place where I can store my valuables during the ceremony?
No. Please leave your valuables and personal possessions with family and friends; we do not have security or space to store them. We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or destroyed personal possessions.
6. If I misplace my name card, where can I pick up a replacement?
You may pick up a new name card in the Gleeson Library’s Atrium only on the dates of distribution.
7. Are there accommodations for graduation candidates and guests with disabilities?
If you are a student with a disability who needs reasonable accommodations for this event, please contact Student Disability Services at (415) 422-2613 at least 10 days in advance of your ceremony. Please know that some accommodations (e.g. sign language interpretation, and real-time captioning) may take longer to arrange. If you are a guest with a disability, please contact the School of Law Deans’ Office at (415) 422-6304. The Parker Street entrance to the Saint Ignatius Church is wheelchair-accessible and disabled parking is available on Parker Street.
8. How do I donate to the Class Gift?
You may make a gift to the Class of 2015 Class Gift through May 31, 2015, by completing the online Giving Form.
1. Why are guest tickets required for Commencement?
Safety is the first and foremost reason for controlling the number of guests in St. Ignatius Church. Also, the city fire marshal has made it clear that we must limit the number of guests and candidates to the seating capacity of the church.
2. How is the number of guest tickets per candidate calculated?
To ensure that the greatest number of guest tickets could be given to each candidate at each ceremony, we did the following: from the total number of seats available, we subtracted seats for the candidates, platform party and special guests, and divided the remaining seats by the number of expected candidates at each ceremony.
3. How many guest tickets do I get?
School of Law graduates will each receive seven guest tickets. Guest tickets cannot be replaced if lost, stolen, or destroyed. We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or destroyed guest tickets.
4. How can I get extra tickets?
Due to the large number of graduates, there will not be any extra tickets. You may want to check with your classmates to see if anyone has tickets that they will not use. In some years the SBA has held a lottery for extra tickets. Contact the SBA Graduation Committee for more information.
5. I am eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony. Do I need a guest ticket?
No. If you are a student participating in the Commencement ceremony, you will not need a ticket. The tickets you receive are for your guests.
6. Do children need a ticket to attend Commencement?
Children ages two and under do not need a ticket. All other attendees require a ticket for entrance.
7. If one of my guests is in a wheelchair, will a ticket be required?
Yes, since a wheelchair occupies the space of a chair, a ticket is required for an individual in a wheelchair.
8. Can non-graduating USF students get tickets for the Commencement ceremony?
All guests, including non-graduating students, must have a ticket to enter the church.
9. Will any other seating be available for people without tickets?
Yes, viewing via closed circuit TV will be available in the Pedro Arrupe Room and Cowell Hall rooms 106 and 107.
1. How early should my guests arrive at the church?
The doors to Saint Ignatius Church will open 45 minutes prior to each ceremony. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be sure to notify your guests of this procedure.
2. Are seats reserved?
No, all seats are general admission. While tickets are required for guests to enter the church, individual seats are not reserved. The doors will open to guests 45 minutes before the ceremony. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
3. How long does the Commencement Ceremony last?
Each ceremony lasts approximately 90 minutes.
4. Can someone videotape the ceremony?
Yes, the use of video cameras will be allowed to the extent that they do not obstruct the view of other guests in the audience. Tripods are not allowed.
5. Is there a live streaming video of the ceremony?
Yes, please click here to view recent USF Commencement videos.
1. Hotel Information:
Call San Francisco Reservations toll free at (877) 243-8075 or visit www.hotelres.com.
3. Personalized Commencement Announcements:
4. Order a USF class ring:
5. Order a DVD or VHS of the ceremony:
6. Order a Diploma Frame:
7. Questions on the Day of the Ceremony:
Contact University of San Francisco's main phone number at (415) 422-5555.
8. Graduation Degree Requirements, Diplomas, etc.:
Contact the School of Law Office of the Registrar at (415) 422-6778.
Visit websites or contact USF Public Safety at (415) 422-4222.
Located in Phelan Hall, will be open limited hours during the commencement ceremonies. Please call (415) 422-6493 for business hours.
11. Class of 2015 Class Gift