Tip of the Month: Discussion Boards
Engaging your students in class can be a bit difficult especially if
students are shy, speak a different language, or may have a learning
disability. Discussion boards in Canvas are a great way to broaden the
spectrum of ideas and conversations between your students.
Advantages of a Discussion board:
- Creates a safe environment for students to voice their ideas and opinions with one another,
- Creates a starting point discussion for the next class meeting,
- You will be able to clear any questions students have regarding the assignment(s),
- Students can carefully write an in depth response to a topic or conversation;
- All students will be able to participate,
- Gives you, the instructor, an opportunity to interact with your students.
Tips for a successful Discussion board:
- Make it an assignment with a grade,
- Include in depth instructions on your expectations of what they should write,
- Introduce students to
Discussion boards in the beginning of the semester by having them
introduce themselves before the next class,
- Create an open discussion board for students to post questions to you or to the entire class.
Tips before Spring Semester:
spring semester approaches you start to realize that you need to
prepare for spring classes. Here is a list of quick tips you need to
know before classes start:
How do I import my items from my Fall Course?
can import items from your previous Canvas course. Items such as
discussion boards, quizzes, assignments, and announcements will be moved
over without previous student data. Here is the step by step guide to
assist you: How to Copy Content to a New Course Space
Be sure to Publish your course
students can view items in your course, you must publish it to make it
available. Here is a step-by-step guide to assist you: How do I publish my course
I have multiple sections of my course, can I Cross-list my courses?
answer is Yes. This is also known as Merging your sections together.
You no longer have to request for this to happen, you can do it yourself
by following the instructional guide provided: Cross-list Courses into One Course
Tips on Migration:
For more information or would like to make an individual appointment feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org